• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC trouble? What ya'll think?

I know at least 15 of them are HF only, and Im sure most of them would help out a 13 YO cb'er

That is the right thing to do. I know some of us "Hams" have a streak of self-righteous indignation when it comes to new radio ops or CBers.

There are very few things worse than an ex CBer turned Ham who is full of himself. :thumbdown:

Also, it was very common back in the 50's for kids as young as 13 to have a license.

Errr I live here in AZ and we have both types of skiing water and snow,
Unlike the movies of the 50's AZ is not all flat, dryer then a popcorn phart type of place.. It is very diverse in its geological platform..
From the low deserts to the high mountians it has a wide variaty of interesting areas for all to be enjoyed..

:) Ok - if you are a snow skier you can keep AZ on the list I guess, maybe a better example would be florida :).

If you are a saltwater fisherman don't move to Iowa...maybe that works better.

Ok ya'll I live in West Tennessee. I may be moving across town. I am told that there is around 2 HAM operators in that neighborhood. I'm very worried that I will bleed on them and get in trouble with the FCC. The house next to the place we are seriously looking at has a 70-60 foot tower. It has a beam on it...I have no clue what it's used for. I run a Galaxy 2517, Fatboy 2 pill (400 watts max), Astatic power desk mic, and Imax 2000. I'm very seriously thinking about getting a 3 element beam (that might make me bleed even more?) My family is already got enough to deal with...the last thing we need is the FCC at our front door.

Oh the hammies our gonna luv you. :D

i also live just few miles west of Savannah, just over the bridge .

is the antenna a little NW of the Harden Medical center (walmart/lowes area)?

there is also another operator just east of the Main st & Wayne rd intersection, blankenship dr or maybe perry pl

get the beam,the antron can be a splatter stick.(y)

talk to the operator and 'splain that you are a cb'er and ask if you are interfering with him.
he more than likely will help you with proper grounding/over modulation issues/ect.

I will be in TN in about 2 months , if you need any "technical" help let me know

Whats your handle?

If you move in there, go over and introduce yourself. Make friends with the guy. Tell him all about your radio interests. Be up front about interference possibilities. Set your gear up and see what happens. Your mutual operating may not bother each other. If it does, ask for his help. Keep it friendly. This will probably be your best chance.

Good luck !
interview.gif

I had the exact thoughts. Maybe I should give him my number to let me know to let up on the power ya know?

Just hope the hams in your new hood are not the type that grow fangs n claws at the mention of CB amp.

Just hope the hams in your new hood are not the type that grow fangs n claws at the mention of CB amp.

Yeah. Well the HAM operator's name that lives very close to the house we are looking at, his name sounds familiar. But the guy lives like 2 houses down :eek:. Hopefully he don't talk much. I've heard of both positive and negative about the Low Pass Filter. Seems like more of the neg. Do they actually work?

Is why I'd see if he's one of QRZ's top posters. He might be a big maul dropper and take you under his wing, who knows.
If his house is all tidy and shit, has vanity HAM license plates and a big ol' belly and a callsign on his hat.... I'd say your screwed.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Yeah. Well the HAM operator's name that lives very close to the house we are looking at, his name sounds familiar. But the guy lives like 2 houses down :eek:. Hopefully he don't talk much. I've heard of both positive and negative about the Low Pass Filter. Seems like more of the neg. Do they actually work?

I had a imax 2000 before I got my super penetrator....I had the imax on a 20ft mast up the side of my home....the neighbor complained I was causing rfi.....I cured the problem by stop using my d-104 and by putting ferrite beads on my coax coming out of my radio....and I also put a loop choke in my coax up where it screws on the imax....that seemed to do the trick.....those ferrite beads work.
Then I bought my SP500 and a 40ft tower...for some reason...going higher made it so I did not need the ferrite beads anymore.....now I am using a studio mic and transmitting clean audio....the game has changed. ;)

I think I would take my hobby into consideration like the considerations made about how many rooms, bathrooms, a garage, school district, and all other decisions made when looking for a new home! If you are a serious ratchet jaw, and he is as well, it will get ugly if he's as close as you say. Go and knock his door BEFORE you are committed to a bleed over fest. Hell you might find that this station is inop, and for sale, who knows. If he is a live station, you might find that he'll be a friend or foe just by introducing yourself.
I've had a couple letters, and a knock at the door from Uncle Charlie! There are thousands of homes out there. I personally wouldn't even consider moving within a few miles of another antenna! Good luck! :pop:

Is why I'd see if he's one of QRZ's top posters. He might be a big maul dropper and take you under his wing, who knows.
If his house is all tidy and shit, has vanity HAM license plates and a big ol' belly and a callsign on his hat.... I'd say your screwed.

Yep......I have run into both types. :)

Yeah. Well the HAM operator's name that lives very close to the house we are looking at, his name sounds familiar. But the guy lives like 2 houses down :eek:. Hopefully he don't talk much.
Danger Will Robinson!
Ah; ya don't know. I can assure that the amp will interfere. Hard to say how he responds. He just might be fixing himself some toast and coffee and your radio/amp bleeds over into the toaster. Just sayin. They say that the first impressions are the most important. How do you want to make a first impression is up to you . . .
I've heard of both positive and negative about the Low Pass Filter. Seems like more of the neg. Do they actually work?
A quality filter will remove the 2nd harmonic (54mHz) But intermodulation distortion (the kind that bleeds across several CB channels) can be noticed too. Over-modulation (more than 100%) is your enemy. Watch it!

Last edited:
I live in a small town with about 800 people. There are 7 HAMS including myself. All the others are 2 meter commandos.

There is only one CB operator who's in his mid 80's. He only talks in the early morning to another old dude about 15 miles away. There is a factory across from me that makes oil field tanks. I hear the drivers on channel 34 in the mornings. I usually will talk to a few of them while they get loaded.

Back in the day, the only Hams were my dad and I but, we also had around 30 CB bases and twice as many mobiles. I know a few had old tube amps and a few had mobile amps. Almost everyone ran channel 2. My dad would never talk on CB but, he sure would listen to the gossip. I talked to a few of my friends in town and the surrounding areas, it was big fun.

I actually wish we'd get some new blood around here as long as they had some cooth.

Errr I live here in AZ and we have both types of skiing water and snow,
Unlike the movies of the 50's AZ is not all flat, dryer then a popcorn phart type of place.. It is very diverse in its geological platform..
From the low deserts to the high mountians it has a wide variaty of interesting areas for all to be enjoyed..

Now for the radio... run it CLEAN, have a words with the neighbours and express a interest in HAM.
Better yet just get your ticket. you wont regret it...

Hey now, That brings back some good times in the Mid '70's.
Tubing down The Verde-Salt River. Great Times.

Well guys heres the update....Drove by the house a few minutes ago. The HAM operator lives right next door!:eek::headbang Just by looking at his tower, I can tell he's a hardcore HAM radio guy:thumbdown:. If we move there, I'll probably never get to talk...even barefooted.:(

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.