• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

finally got them swr's down and other stuff

serrasalmus

Jan 29, 2012
so after a few months of sitting at 2.3 i finally got time to handcut with a hacksaw and it sucked arsh my stinger and got them swr's down to 1.0 on 1 and 20 and 1.1 on 40 on my aries 440 swr power meter now my question is...how accurate is this meter and should i trust it and be happy with it and how do i check reflect without a mfj or other fancy meter outa my price range right now. how do i check the bandwidth of my antenna for use on 10 and 12 meters without keying up to check them (i dont have my card yet damn math is killing me)... i want to thank everyone who has posted regarding bonding and installation tips as without them i would have had one hell of a time getting it this good so thanks a bunch to you all i very much appreciate all the knowledge you guys have and are willing to share......

i currently have a 2970n2 and i love the radio but im looking for a better one with electronic switching to ssb so i can scan the ssb and am channels that i listen to as you know you cant do this on the 2970 with its selector knob. i need a tough as hell radio as i drive a blazer and i run rough roads all the time and i need something that will take the abuse of a dirt road at 60mph and good ol Colorado bfe highways but i dont want a big radio as i dont have room to mount it the 2970 is about as big as i can fight without it getting in the way of passenger side knees. i like the ones that a few of you have that have just a head and you mount the unit somewhere else but i dont know crap about them,i wish i had my dads knowledge hes been a xtra class since the 70's-80's.but im not that smart a cookie with this stuff give me a computer and its on...**Jump_im** i think i got bit and it hurts so good

When I first started in radio, you cut the antenna to the "book length" and got on the air with it, had contacts and a lot of fun. Then came the solid-state radios that start folding back the power if the antenna isn't pretty much perfect.

"How accurate...?" is your meter? Don't know. How do you check the bandwidth of the antenna? By using extremely low power and a known-good meter - which is exactly what an antenna analyzer is, in one convenient package.

You might use a noise bridge, but I'd check with a nearby amateur radio club to see if you can borrow something like an MFJ-259B; maybe even have one of the members visit your place and show you how to check the antenna.

The common way of checking for your meter's accuracy is to use a dummy load instead of an antenna. I have no idea how your particular meter will turn out in that regard.

The only way to check for an antenna's 'band width' is by transmitting with it and noting the range of acceptable band width. An antenna analyzer does exactly that, just at very low power. In general, unless an antenna is an adjustable 'multiband' thingy, don't expect to see any 'nice' readings over multiple bands because you will be disappointed.

If you want a radio with a detachable/remote control head the market is very limited. I would have to say get ready to spend some money, or wait until more manufacturers decide to make them. It'll still cost you.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.