• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fire stick ??

Jul 7, 2013
bucyrus ohio
how do you all fill about a 4 foot fire stick on a gumdrop mount on the trunk I have the mount installed just looking for a good antenna to put on it I know its not the best place for a mount but that is what I got to deal with

I'll wager that many of the different manufacturer fiberglass whips of the equal length will be fairly comparable with each other. Maybe not in all cases, but most. I took some old Archer flexible fiberglass whips down and replaced them with a new set of Everhardt TSM antennas. After many reviews that I read, I expected an improvement. There was no discernible difference at all.

Different lengths, on the other hand, will show a very big difference. An efficiency test of a 3' Firestik showed 64% efficiency compared to a full 1/4 antenna (being a known constant at 100%). A 5' Wilson Silverload showed 92% efficient as the 102". Not that Wilson's fiberglass antenna is better than the Firestik. It is the comparison of a 3' vs. 5'. By that standard, a 4' stick would be 78% efficient. So I would go with the 5' antenna.

Most of the large, open coil antennas in the 5.5' length also showed 92% efficiency. Same as the 5' fiberglass. They were, however, more broad banded and much higher power rating. But if you are tuning only for CB and aren't running an amp, you won't need the wider bandwidth or power handling. Plus, the fiberglass whips can be bought for under $20 if you shop around.

Reactions: 1 person
Not everyone wants to mount a 102" whip on their vehicle. I use a 5' Firestick and have good results...

What's the best antenna you can use for 11 meters? A 1/4 wave antenna of some kind. That's also not very convenient, right? Okay, so pick an arbitrary shorter length that will be convenient and still 'close' to about 8 - 9 feet tall. Just be aware that the more you shorten any antenna the less 'performance' it will be capable of. Somewhere in there you will find a length that works for you. If it works for you, then that's the 'perfect' antenna for YOU to use in your particular circumstances.
Convenience is always a trade-off in some way...
- 'Doc

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
witch one ??

ok I am either going to buy a 5 foot fire stik or a Wilson silver load antenna witch one is better thank to all for all the help :headbang

ok I am either going to buy a 5 foot fire stik or a Wilson silver load antenna witch one is better thank to all for all the help :headbang
had both on my 84 chevy truck. i liked the wilsons better.think they may
handle more power . not sure this was many years ago. i had a single
5 foot silverload [nonflexable] on my passengerside mirrior it nearly
did as good as my friends wilson 1000 mag mount on the roof.
considering mounting locations the silverload impressed me .

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
I've run both, and they will both be good antennas. if you can afford it, buy both and compare them your self.
I also agree with the 5' over the 4'.
I actually liked my 5/8ths everhardt with the top hat the best.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.