• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Firestik IBA-5 indoor base antenna

dway87,
Never having used one you will have to take this for what it's worth. It's probably as good as any other indoor antenna. Which isn't to say that it will ever be as good as an out door antenna. Just how good would it be? No way for me to even guess at the really, just too many "indoor"s it could be used in, some better than others.
- 'Doc

You must have a wife / landlord effecting your thinking.

I, like many others have "chased our tails" trying to have a nice station and also having low profile antennas etc. Just get it over with, the antenna has to be big, high and ugly, mobile or base. Then get you a nice little mobile and at least a 10 amp power supply and get on the air !!

The reason I ask about this antenna or any indoor base antenna is that I am in college and run a set-up in my dorm room. Don't wanna make the University mad at me for putting a 18' antenna on top of their building. That would be sweet though! :)

dway87 said:
The reason I ask about this antenna or any indoor base antenna is that I am in college and run a set-up in my dorm room. Don't wanna make the University mad at me for putting a 18' antenna on top of their building. That would be sweet though! :)

Even with an indoor antenna you WILL get into your neighbors computer speakers so watch what you say.

Barefoot radio, probably 5 or 6 watts key with around 18-20 PEP. What I did was this: I had the TV shut off, and while I was keyed up and talking, I turned the TV on with the remote. There was a loud pop, and a wee bit of a flash, and that was that. The horizontal output transistor was blown, along with a number of other parts in that circuit. We never figured out exactly what happend to blow it from simple low-level RF nearby, either.

Yeah ! That would be my luck :( buy a 30 dollar no-ground plane antenna and blow up my 300.00 TV ! I suppose I've heard worse ..........like the guy who did not have fuses at his battery in the mobile and ended up frying his electrical system that ended up costing him 3000.00 to repair :( Auh Yes !! The wonderful world of cb radio !!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.