• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First HF Rig - recommendations?

One more piece of advise that my elmer told me right after I got my ticket. He said " Never ever buy a older rig off any of the action sites unless you personally know the guy. Cause most of the time you are going to stuck with someone else's headache." I did not listen. Had to learn the hard way. Bought a TS-820s that was supposed to in 100% working order. 6 months later it was on the air. Great rig to operate. But wasted lots of time and $$$ cause I did not listen to my elmer.

kj4unx

Thanks for the replies. Hmm at the 718's price point TS440 doesn't look so good.

M42 - why do you say to run away - experienced quality issues?

Yaesu 950 - - - One of the eHam reviews mentioned that the 950 should not be purchased without the DMU which is a significant adder like $1000 - anyone use it without or with for that matter and can comment.

I personally think it's garbage (a friend of mine has one - you're paying $1000 for a 15 year old processor). For less money (and far more in functionality), you can do a simple mod to your radio if you have a PC or laptop already available (along with the freely available Software Defined Radio software).

RFspace IF-2000 Interface Board

RFspace SDR-IQ Software Defined Receiver, RF Space sdriq

[Edit] I almost forgot... if you want whatever SDR Software you install to control your radio (which is a nice plus), you'll need:

https://www.usconverters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=325

and likely:
http://www.sfcable.com/D930-06.html

Last edited:
Thanks again everyone.

I think I am convinced to pass on ebay.

The more I think of it the more I like the idea of having something that is easily modded so that it can double as an emergency radio.

Based on that I guess Ten Tec and Elecraft are out (they seem to be a bit over-zealous with their modding info and methodology).

The SDR is intriguing but it seems that there is no readily available information on how to open up the radios (MARS mod).

Need to review the specs on the base radios to see if I can get something in that category vs the 7000.

Looking at the ICOM 7000. With the mars and tvro mod could also double as a great emergency radio as it covers gmrs/FRS, marine vhf freqs and even ems bands.

Is there a base version of this radio available?

Is there any other radio made with this kind of coverage?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

theres an IC 7k on QTH.COM right now radio, tuner, and external monitor for $840,...... at that price, it won't be there long

ICOM IC-7000 Transceiver, ICOM AH-4 Tuner, and Michley 7-in TFT LCD Monitor for sale. Can be purchased together or as separate units.
Prepaid shipping via UPS in continental US. All cables except ANT Coax included. All that is needed to complete the station would be an antenna and power supply. Complete Package $840.00.

TS-2000 very noisy receiver on HF, but pretty darn good on VHF/UHF except for some satellite channels have "birdies". Some claim they are excellent on HF, but I've owned several of them early and later. All about the same.

FT-857/897 (D) Actually a very good rig. Kind of flat sounding rx audio to some. Fairly heavy on menu's.

Alinco DX-70T(H) Probably the bargain of HF rigs. Good TX/RX audio, 160-6 meters. All filters built in. Very crappy noise blanker.

Yaesu FT-100(D) Again a decent radio IF you find a good one. I have been through three of them before settling on an FT-100. VHF/UHF finals are very hard to find and are a common failure. Some these seem to be just junk and others are excellent.

Icom Pro I or II Excellent rigs which are famous for their "panadapter". Very reliable overall. The Pro II to me has far better sounding RX audio than the original Pro.

Yeasu FT-857GX Older HF rig with about 8 memories, all filters, and overall not to bad of a radio. Famous with CB'rs as they are very easy to mod with a simple switch.

I own all of the radios above, but some I've owned in the past are the Icom IC-706MIIG, Flex-radio 1500 and 3000, FT-817, and the Elecraft KX-3.

The 706 was/is a very good radio. Fairly pricey for used ones, though the early models are selling for around $400 or so.

Flex rigs all seem to be good, but they are chained to your computer.

FT-817 is an excellent rig but only 5 watts on all bands.

The Elecraft KX3 is an excellent radio for QRP also, but is very pricey, and almost worthless to use as an SDR rig tied to your computer. The I/Q output has lots of images. If you want an SDR rig get a Flex or buy a good quality SDR receiver with direct sampling and tie that to a computer controlled transceiver.

IMHO why beat your self over the head with QRP? You'll end up wanting an amp eventually so people will hear you, especially on SSB. Get a rig with 100 watts or so and have fun.

The Elecraft KX3 is an excellent radio for QRP also, but is very pricey, and almost worthless to use as an SDR rig tied to your computer. The I/Q output has lots of images. If you want an SDR rig get a Flex or buy a good quality SDR receiver with direct sampling and tie that to a computer controlled transceiver.

I ran the audio cables through an inexpensive line filter between the KX3 and transceiver which cleaned it up a lot. The problem isn't that the "I/Q output has lots of images"; rather it's that you're introducing: A. line / ground noise with the cable or B. PC/Sound card generated noise at the computer. The KX3's I/Q, Mic In, and Audio Out ports are not isolated due to space limitations. The op expected to take care of that issue outside of the rig, which is really pretty easy to do.

Another alternative if he really wants the panadapter stuff is to buy a K3 with the IF output option. However, he seems to want 11m capability also.

I have an Icom 7000 also - I think he'll be pretty happy with that.

I think a Kenwood TS480SAT is a good rig, as well as the TS590S. I have had an Icom 7000 and did not care for it. Did not like the rx audio and too menu intensive. Kenwood has buttons on front panel to get to the important stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.