• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

First mobile unit recommendations...

KD8KSX

Feb 25, 2010
Good day all,

What are your thoughts about an FT8900R as a first mobile unit? I've been using a VX-8R for about a year. I pretty much use repeaters to help pass the time during my commute, but I'd like to somewhat expand my capabilities, but I don't want to sink a huge amount of funds into it, either. The 8900 would give me 10 and 6 meter FM, along with the usual 2m and 70cm. Can get a limited taste of Dxing in FM, have all the capability I'd want or need in V/UHF. The HT is already rigged up for APRS for 'public service-like' events or emergencies. And since the 8900 has a cross-band repeater capability, I think I can use it to extend the APRS packet signal of the HT in the event I need more reach than the 5W HT puts out (or is that a false assumption?).

Attempting to be a responsible spender, yet still get a bit of diverse capability. Got a baby inbound in 3 months with health insurance that covers ZERO percent of the bill, so I want to get a reasonable amount of bang for a limited amount of bucks.

Bruce

If it can be fit into your budget, you probably would be better off spending the extra$$$ for an all mode HF/VHF/UHF rig like the 857.

If it can be fit into your budget, you probably would be better off spending the extra$$$ for an all mode HF/VHF/UHF rig like the 857.

While I think that ultimately I'd like that more (better, best?), I think that adding $300 to the radio cost, plus either a duplexer to run all bands from a single ATAS120a (and the cost of that, too), or using 2 antennas. I think I decent set up based on a 857 will end up totaling something in the $1300 range (assuming all new bits, which I'd get for warranty sake, if nothing else).

I'm estimating that a 8900-based install would be close to half that amount, all included. Or am I missing something (very likely!).

B

You do realize that on 6m & 10m you get FM only, right? A lot of areas don't have many 6m repeaters, but it could be fun to try and work 10m repeaters when the band is open. I guess what I'm really saying is don't expect to get a lot of use out of 6m & 10m in that radio. Personally, I would probably just get the FT-8800r, which also has crossband repeat. You would save a few bucks that way. And yes, you should be able to use the radio to crossband repeat APRS into your HT.

You do realize that on 6m & 10m you get FM only, right? A lot of areas don't have many 6m repeaters, but it could be fun to try and work 10m repeaters when the band is open. I guess what I'm really saying is don't expect to get a lot of use out of 6m & 10m in that radio.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Figured that for the $50 price differential, having the extra 2 bands might be worth it. 6m might be useful crossbanding with the VX-8, but I'm fighting "capability creep" as much as I can.

Personally, I would probably just get the FT-8800r, which also has crossband repeat. You would save a few bucks that way. And yes, you should be able to use the radio to crossband repeat APRS into your HT.

Thanks for the advice. Moving the other direction (in favor of frugality <gasp!>), the FT-7900R might end up being the wiser choice. I recon with one of those I could probably be fully running for $500 and have enough change for dinner.

It's so easy to get sucked into spending a boatload of money, isn't it? ;)

Thanks again, Moleculo... I've enjoyed reading your reviews.

Also don't forget that the quadband antenna for 10,6,2,440 will cost you more than a standard 2m/440 antenna. The antenna that Diamond makes specifically for this radio is the Diamond CR8900A. It costs $105 without the mount and coax! You can get a good 2m/440 antenna for waaaaaaay less than that.

You have to take the total system cost into consideration when making a decision like this to really see if the price/performance ratio is worth it.

You have to take the total system cost into consideration when making a decision like this to really see if the price/performance ratio is worth it.
Amen to that! Sort of like how the price of a dress my wife buys is nearly inconsequential compared to the shoes, purse, matching mani/pedi...

Decisions... decisions...

Then I have to think about how to mount the antenna to my '01 F150 (regular cab), preferably without drilling a hole in the roof, although I'm not completely opposed to it.

Thanks,

Bruce

I've recently graduated from the VX8R to the FT8900. I like it a lot, although 10 and six meters haven't been very active. I can't wait for warmer weather when the bands open up for some real long distance stuff. I have the diamond CR-8900 on a four magnet mount up on the roof of my truck. I get a very good SWR without a DC ground and the height of the antenna can really reach out and touch those distant repeaters. I think that the bad reports which I've read about the CR-8900 combined with mag mounts were probably due to using a small single magnet.

My next radio will be either an FT-857D or an IC-7000 with a good screwdriver. I still haven't decided which yet.

Another way of looking at this sort of thing is to figure out what capabilities you would 'normally' use, 'might' use, and have 'just in case', or 'because'. That can certainly narrow the choices a little bit.
And like you said, that 'dress' ain't the biggy. Most of the time it's that 'other' stuff that goes with it that puts a 'pinch' on things. That includes all those 'little' things you (~I~) never think about till I need it right now. Got any electrical tape, assorted screws, drills, velcro, etc?
- 'Doc

(With one'a them 'rug-rats' on the way, a noise canceling mic comes in handy.) :)

Thanks for all the input. I decided to keep it simple and get an FT-7900. The vast majority of what I do mobile is repeater work. I'm an aviation nut and so I can use the 7900 to can the air band when I'm not on the repeater (my commute takes me half way around Dulles International, so that feature will be nice.

I thought about the FT-8800, but since I frequently drive at night, the deciding factor is that the buttons aren't illuminated. Seems odd for a mobile unit to not have lit buttons, but se la vie.

Again, thanks for the input.

Now to chew over antennas and mounts and such.

Bruce

Don't discount used rigs.

A 7800 is about as good as the 7900 and can be had for less than 200 dollars used.

I had one and had no complaints.

I used the head remotely and simply used a phone splice and a phone cord.

You HAVE to use the little cord that hooks the head to the main unit in that instance because the wires are flipped 180%.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.