• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fix Malaysia 148gtl or get new radio?

swanny

Apr 26, 2009
I've had this Taiwan 148gtl for several years now after buying it at a pawn shop. Finally got an astron power supply so I can run the radio in the house, but I've notice that after it's been on for an hour or more, I have to clarify the ssb signal sometimes to get people back on frequency. I do talk a lot of sideband so a stable radio is important to me. I'm wondering if it's worth it to have someone recap and replace the voltage regulator in this old radio because of it's reputation for great audio and ssb stability or put it back in the mobile where it doesn't get used much and get something else for the base?

Last edited:

I think "Klondike Mike" - a member on this forum - sells cap kits for various radios. Think he also gives a $1 discount to forum members. He probably has what you are looking for in that dept.

As far as the MB3756 voltage regulators, I've seen the "Real McCoy" Fujitsu regulators on eBay for about $13/shipped.

Is it worth it to make one of these radio rebuilt? Oh yes; I have four of them and they all work very well. They are keepers.

I have some experience with a soldering iron but am nowhere near an electronics technician. Is this something I can do myself, or does it need to be shipped off to a tech to get fixed? Btw, thanks for the info so far Robb

I have some experience with a soldering iron but am nowhere near an electronics technician. Is this something I can do myself, or does it need to be shipped off to a tech to get fixed? Btw, thanks for the info so far Robb

Have the work done by someone who has the proper test equipment and knows what to do with it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.