• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FM band what??

Nightshade

Sep 16, 2009
Does the FM band on some SW radios receive the same FM as ordinary AM/FM radios do?

I ask because I "assumed" that FM is FM but tonight I found a radio that was able to pickup FM but it was NOT 'regular' FM that I'm used to. What :confused:

As I understand it, all SW is in AM.

My SW radio will pick up, SW, broadcast AM and broadast FM.

With my HAM radio I have even more capability on receiving and transmitting. I transmit using FM or AM in my HAM freqs.

Let me put it a different way, AM and FM are technologies, not frequencies.

Yes, the FM band on your SW radio is the same FM band you are familiar with. FM won't work very well on shortwave. It's advantages disappear.

Or to put it another way, AM and FM are modes of transmission. AM is 'amplitude modulation' and FM is 'frequency modulation'. Apples and oranges. A radio must have the ability to receive or transmit these modes - or they cannot hear or speak on them.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand the question.

Or to put it another way, AM and FM are modes of transmission. AM is 'amplitude modulation' and FM is 'frequency modulation'. Apples and oranges. A radio must have the ability to receive or transmit these modes - or they cannot hear or speak on them.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I understand the question.

In other words......
Can I use one SW radio (that has FM band too) to listen to FM music or SW as I choose? Same goes for talk AM radio.:confused: Or do I still need my portable for AM/FM
talk & music? (If I do that's ok too.)

Bear with me here since I'm still learning...OK?

I believe the answer is yes, you can use one radio.

But
What specific radio (make/model) are we talking about?
If I can see the spec I would know for sure.

If your radio is capable of using the FM mode on any/all of the bands of frequencies it covers, then it can be used to listen to whatever is transmitted in FM mode on those frequencies. Some radios are only capable of operating FM on particular bands, not all bands. Same for any mode if it's typically only found on particular bands. Just depends on your radio receiver's capabilities, and I have no idea what those capabilities are.

Are there different 'kinds' of FM? Yes, and no. All FM operates the same way. There are two different 'kinds' of FM though, one is narrow, the other is wide. Narrow and wide are relative terms and relate to what is being transmitted, or it's audio frequency range. Narrow FM is used with voice, which typically is narrower in audio frequency range than music, for instance, which usually uses wide FM. Especially in the USA, in the last several years, almost everything has gone to narrow FM. That's so more stations can be crammed into the same limited frequency band than would hold wide FM. So what's the difference? Narrow FM receivers have to be a bit more selective than wide FM receivers, which means a little 'better' receiver, which means it's gonna cost more, maybe have another button or two, special trim color, and who knows what else.
- 'Doc

Does the FM band on some SW radios receive the same FM as ordinary AM/FM radios do?

I ask because I "assumed" that FM is FM but tonight I found a radio that was able to pickup FM but it was NOT 'regular' FM that I'm used to. What :confused:

The FM band on SW radios is the normal FM broadcast band UNLESS you found one meant for a foreign market like Europe or Asia. Check this link and please explain "but tonight I found a radio that was able to pickup FM but it was NOT 'regular' FM that I'm used to." What was differant about it?

FM broadcast band - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words......
Can I use one SW radio (that has FM band too) to listen to FM music or SW as I choose? Same goes for talk AM radio.:confused: Or do I still need my portable for AM/FM
talk & music? (If I do that's ok too.)

Bear with me here since I'm still learning...OK?

The one radio should do it with the exception noted above regarding foreign market receivers.

The FM band on SW radios is the normal FM broadcast band UNLESS you found one meant for a foreign market like Europe or Asia. Check this link and please explain "but tonight I found a radio that was able to pickup FM but it was NOT 'regular' FM that I'm used to." What was differant about it?

I'm not sure the brand of radio it was but it caught me off guard in my shopping for a radio that there were more than one kind of FM usage. That possibility just stunned me. :eek:

If your radio is capable of using the FM mode on any/all of the bands of frequencies it covers, then it can be used to listen to whatever is transmitted in FM mode on those frequencies. Some radios are only capable of operating FM on particular bands, not all bands. Same for any mode if it's typically only found on particular bands. Just depends on your radio receiver's capabilities, and I have no idea what those capabilities are.

Are there different 'kinds' of FM? Yes, and no. All FM operates the same way. There are two different 'kinds' of FM though, one is narrow, the other is wide. Narrow and wide are relative terms and relate to what is being transmitted, or it's audio frequency range. Narrow FM is used with voice, which typically is narrower in audio frequency range than music, for instance, which usually uses wide FM. Especially in the USA, in the last several years, almost everything has gone to narrow FM. That's so more stations can be crammed into the same limited frequency band than would hold wide FM. So what's the difference? Narrow FM receivers have to be a bit more selective than wide FM receivers, which means a little 'better' receiver, which means it's gonna cost more, maybe have another button or two, special trim color, and who knows what else.
- 'Doc

Ah Yes! Thank you! Now I understand. (y)

Well, I'm sure all these folks answered your question.

But there is still another FM.

I forget the details, but there is some wideband stuff outside the bandwidth of the typical wideband FM broadcast band that is still "on" the same frequency; usually for foriegn language/religious, or other...

These may be encoded digitally or in additional analog subcarriers...terms like SCA and FMeXtra come up...

Subcarrier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

FM SCA Information

FMeXtra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.