• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Free 146 GTL!!!

Cheech

Apr 6, 2005
Medina county Ohio
Well I came across a 146 today in the trash down the street from me. Brought it home and it powers up and transmits! I was wondering what can be done to this radio. Also was wondering what kind of transistors it should have and what they are capable of. I figure it will make a nice radio!! 8) Thanks!!!!

cheech shopping for more radio gear

homeless_SD_7468.jpg

hehe..good find cheech!

Cheech,From what I am told you can do a lot of mods to that 146gtl.
I will be listening for you today.

Maybe you help me find out what is wrong with my 146. I've been testing lots of things on there. I just need an equilivent model to make sure that I am getting power where I am supposed to.

i just picked up a president ar144 ( same board as 146gtl ) from a pile of old radios in my buddies shed, its missing the channel sellector knob but its never been repaired or even had a soldering iron in it from new and works 100% :)

Mudbug101 said:
Maybe you help me find out what is wrong with my 146. I've been testing lots of things on there. I just need an equilivent model to make sure that I am getting power where I am supposed to.

Yeah I would be glad to help out! Just let me know what you need! As for my radio Im thinking a chanel mod would be nice! :D

hey There...

Nice find indeed...
i used to have that radio...it was the 1st mobil i had...
worked very well for me (untill a stepped up to the then AR-3500)

i talked all over with mine in the early and mid 80's..

i understand it is very simular to the 148 i was told was same board but those 148's never had the audio my 146 did..

you can mod it for channels and a bit with power as well

Good luck with it

Later

I have 2 radios that are similar to the Cobra 146gtl. 1 is a Uniden AX-144 and the other is a Pearce Simpson Super Cheetah.
What i would love to know is, does anybody have any decent swing mods for these radios? I have tweaked and tweaked and the most i can get out of them is 2 watt dk swinging to 3 watts AM on my Bird 43. Anymore than 2 watt deadkey and she swings backward. SSB power is fine, i just can't get it to swing on AM. I have searched and searched the net with no luck.
Can anyone out there help this poor miserable mudduck from the bottom side?????

Modulation VR5 or CUT TR29.... Power VR10, (ssb)VR6 (Clarifier modification: Cobra 146 & AR-144) (1) Lift anode of D-30 and connect a 5.6 uH choke in series.
(2) Cut D-32.
(3) Cut both traces on the PCB going to the clarifier .
(4) Solder one wire to PCB ground.
5) Solder a wire from the other cut trace to an 8 VDC source
(note: 8 volts can be found on the cathode of D-50)
(6)This should give you 5 kc of slide.If more slide is wanted then change D-30 to a super slide doide.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.