• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

frequencies...

FLYSWATTER

Feb 1, 2009
Louisiana
ok ... in another thread i asked about the a-h knob in relationship to ssb .... through the knowledge lent we established that they are different frequencies ... with that being said what are those frequencies...do they differ radio to radio? and with the Stryker sr490 not having a freq meter would it be beneficial to add and inline? and the last thought for now ( i swear ) should i worry about my swr's on those frequencies? i look forward to the moment of enlightment :D thanks in advance fellas(y)

It's kind of easy to think of the radio spectrum like a piano keyboard.

AM is like one of the white keys with both black keys on each side.

Each of those black keys is like the upper and lower sidebands.

On AM, you get all three. On sideband, you get one of keys, upper or lower depending on your mode. The white key is the carrier and is the same frequency that you are tuned and that is the same frequency no matter if you use AM, USB or LSB on that same channel.

From the center frequency, the audio frequency is measured. If you input a single 1 kHz tone, the frequency will be the center frequency + or - 1 kHz.

The voice spectrum typically responds between ~300 Hz up to around 3 kHz.

The AM channel bandwidth is around 6 kHz.

The sideband channel bandwidth is around 3 kHz.

this kind of explains it:

The History of Single Sideband Modulation

Last edited:
The thing about radios with all the "extra channels" is that the channel numbers don't necessarily correlate to the same channel number on another radio of different brand. That's becuase on CB, once you get off the standard 40 channels, there is no standard numbering system. That means that having an external frequency counter is helpful if your radio doesn't have one built in so you know where you're at.

As far as SWR goes, YES you should worry about it, especially if you intend to use the frequencies that are very far away from the standard CB ones.

Keep in mind that using these frequencies is also illegal. I'm not telling you what to do or what not to do, but you should know. Make sure you stay away from any frequencies above 28.000mhz or you're asking for trouble.

I think what Moleculo is referring to is the letter designation for the bands is not standard for all radios. On a General Lee/3300 the CB band would be 'D', but on a Galaxy 98vhp it would be 'E', etc.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.