• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Front Stakehole Antenna - what will give a decent SWR?

guttapercha

Sep 22, 2010
Hi,
I'm looking at putting a stakehole mount in my F150 (Breedlove EZN) and I'd prefer to use the stakehole in the front of the bed by the cab. I'm concerned that SWR will be a problem because of the proximity of the cab. I'm considering one of the following:

1) 7' Firestik
2) 120" whip
3) Wilson Trucker 2000 on an 18" extension

Each of these would seem to get most of the antenna above the cab. Can anyone share their experiences?

Thank you,

JD

if you can go full length give it a try . if its not practical (too tall or ol' lady won't allow it) then a 10k on a 27 inch shaft (to get the coil above the cab) would be my next choice .

Thanks, dudes. Yah, I'd use a rear stake hole, but there's always been something about that aesthetically that I don't like. The predator coil is probably a little too conspicuous, but then again 102" is pretty bodacious. I just got a Magnum 257 and I'm itching to get on the air.

My current antenna is a Larsen NMO 27 in the middle of the roof, but it's not terribly efficient and when I wack trees my roof metal flexes a bit much for my comfort. With a 102" I'll wack the trees in the driveway but no flex in the stakehole (hopefully).

Either way, my wife is going to think I'm crazier than she had previously thought.

Thanks!

JD

ok heres what i think ,the firestick should show best swr being the load
is on top and should be above the cab.however there not broadbanded
so using the 257 on 10 meter iu wouldnt recommend. the 102 will
probay show the best performance and most bandwith but swr
might be slightly higher [should still be under 1.5.1]wilson will
probaly work also butid get the 2000sw it has a 22 inch shaft
and the 10k single coil 27 inch shaft should work good too
depending what u want/looking for in aa antenna
bandwith
high power

I ran the 102" whip and also the 27" Shaft 10k, in my setup the 102 had a better match, I used 2 10k mounts stacked to make up for the 6" spring, that eliminated a lot of the swing on the 102". This photo is off the bedrail but in my other truck I ran it this way from a stake hole mount, with the spring it almost swayed into incoming traffic.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4603&stc=1&d=1304262440

Attachments

• IMG_0374.jpg
    IMG_0374.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
That's my setup. Front stakehole. Have used Wilson 5000 on a short extension shaft and the 102" stainless. Both matched well. No SWR issues from proximity to cab. 102 is better all-round and using that again now. I made a custom mount out of 1 & 1/2" flat aluminum bar stock. Brilled hole and using typical 3/8 x 24 threaded stud mount. Drilled two mounting holes in bar stock going into bed rail, nuts & bolts. Also added a braided ground strap going from one of the mounting bolts down to the frame. All is well.

Good luck

Follow up for Wireweasel and Longhorn

Thanks for the detailed replies. I am inclined to try the 102" for starters. Longhorn mentioned issues with sway. Does the 102" ever actually hit the cab? How does it do at highway speeds?

Thanks again,

JD

That's my setup. Front stakehole. Have used Wilson 5000 on a short extension shaft and the 102" stainless. Both matched well. No SWR issues from proximity to cab. 102 is better all-round and using that again now. I made a custom mount out of 1 & 1/2" flat aluminum bar stock. Brilled hole and using typical 3/8 x 24 threaded stud mount. Drilled two mounting holes in bar stock going into bed rail, nuts & bolts. Also added a braided ground strap going from one of the mounting bolts down to the frame. All is well.

Good luck

You will hit tree branches n' stuff for sure. Forget going through those drive-thru's with overhangs. It will lean back going down the highway. Doesn't hurt anything or your performance.

You will likely have to extend the antenna for good match on CB. Many times adding the fat, heavy duty type 4 inch spring will be long enough. The spring is in the circuit and makes it 106" inches. If your SWR isn't flat on channel 20 and it's lower on ch 40 than it is on ch 1, then you need to make it longer. Try the spring first and see if that's enough extra length. Like I said I'm using a 7" shaft extension that I ordered from Monkey Made Antennas. Every installation / setup is different.

Good luck

Does the whip bounce back and hit the cab?

You will hit tree branches n' stuff for sure. Forget going through those drive-thru's with overhangs. It will lean back going down the highway. Doesn't hurt anything or your performance.

You will likely have to extend the antenna for good match on CB. Many times adding the fat, heavy duty type 4 inch spring will be long enough. The spring is in the circuit and makes it 106" inches. If your SWR isn't flat on channel 20 and it's lower on ch 40 than it is on ch 1, then you need to make it longer. Try the spring first and see if that's enough extra length. Like I said I'm using a 7" shaft extension that I ordered from Monkey Made Antennas. Every installation / setup is different.

Good luck

That front 'stake hole' will probably work just fine for you. Sure there's a possibility that the antenna might touch the cab, but it's not very likely. If you're worried about it, slip a tennis ball on the antenna so it will act as a 'bumper'. If you ever stop fast enough to cause that antenna to hit the cab of the truck, you'll have more important things to contend with than that antenna!
Getting a good SWR is part of what tuning that antenna is all about. The most common way of doing that is by adjusting the antenna's length. It's mounting position does have an affect, but that's not much of a biggy, all things considered. Maybe the simplest way of going about it is to start a little 'long' and shortening it till the SWR is acceptable.
- 'Doc

(If the 'other half' thinks you're crazy because of that antenna, just remind her that you put up with her, so she should know you're crazy to start with. And if you're silly enough to tell her that you might think about having yourself committed!)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.