• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ft-840 internal cooling

Bozzcat

May 2, 2011
Hi guy's was wondering how to improve the internal cooling in my 840, without disrupting the flow of the on board fan

Regards
wayne:eek::eek:

Is yours getting that warm?? I have had 2 of those rigs I dont use them much anymore (one needs a repair) but I dont think they really got that warm. You can always just put a fan blowing at the back of the rig to help keep it cooler. Also was the powr turned up on the rig?? If they are turned up past 100 watts then more heat will be generated.

Thanks Tony, I run it at about 80 Watts, but when it warms up the forward power drops to about 50 watts. When is cold it will give 100watts no problem.
Thanks for the advice on the fan

No problem and it sounds like a technical thermal problem your having the only other way the power drops or is cut in half is if theres an SWR problem they have a saftey power cutback to prevent extensive damage.

I notice mre newer rigs like my FT-450 and my wifes mobile FT-857D the fans differently more often on keyup my FT840 and my FT-990 base along with the Kenwood TS-50 the fans only kick in at certain temperatures.

It rather have them all start up at keyup which makes the most sense. Like I said just put a fat blowing steadily at the back and it will help but you have another internal issue there forsure because it shouldnt be cutting back like that if it starts out at 80 - 100 watts.

I have an ft 840 and have never had a problem with heat. The internal fan has never come on. I always run SSB so if you are running FM OR AM there will be more heat. You didn[t say if your fan comes on or not. If not I'd check for another problem causing the over heating.
Great radio by the way.

Jerry / W1NRA

I agree, it sounds like there is more than a cooling problem. The radio should not be dropping power based on heat.

I also own an FT-840, I've never noticed the radio getting too hot. The fan seems to come on as necessary, including when I run SSB. Your problem definitely sounds related to a thermal issue.

I remember reading a similar complaint a long time ago that someone had with an FT-840, which was related to a component in the band pass filtering breaking down under heat, but I just cannot remember the exact content of the information.

Nevertheless, I seem to remember the person saying the circuit became mistuned when it got warm, and it would cause the protection circuit to kick in.

Does it have the same problem on all bands?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.