• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Fuel pump noise elimination

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
I thought I'd post this here in case people don't always get over to the Tech Bench section.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the fuel pump in my Jeep. While I was at it, I decided to work on the fuel pump noise that is VERY annoying on this vehicle. It's so bad that it's a good 2-3 S Units worth of noise at all times. The fix I did was very simple and it eliminated ALL the fuel pump noise from both radios in the Jeep. It's not that hard and it's definately worth the time to do.

I got a big ferrite toroid...the biggest one I had is one that I cut off an old CRT monitor cord. It still wasn't as big as I really needed, but it was a good start. I cut the power lines to the pump fairly close. Took extra wire, wrapping both the pos. and neg. wires through the torroid as many times as I could. For the lower bands, you probably need 10 or so turns, but I could only get about 4 or so through this toroid because the wire guage needed wasn't very small. Since I could only get that few, I used a few snap on beads, as well. On either side of the main choke, I soldered in a .01uF ceramic cap from pos. to neg. Attach the whole thing inline with the pump power line, and presto!! Noise gone.

I hope that helps someone....

I did the same thing but without the torroid. I just used the cap across the power leads and presto it was all gone.I would suggest that method first and then add the torroid if there is any noise left which is unlikely. I had to do the exact same thing to two differant vehicles I owned and yes they were both Fords.

I just used a 0.01 uF cap rated for 50 volts,one of the cheapo ceramic types.Make sure you get the wires correct.there are usually three wires,pos,neg and tyhe one from the sending unit. Just use the pos and neg.

Actually I had tried the just the cap a long time ago by itself and it didn't help in my vehicle. In fact it was still there when I started all this. I even tried to add a few snap together toroids, but that didn't do it either. Every vehicle is different, so you have to see what works in your situation.

Moleculo said:
Actually I had tried the just the cap a long time ago by itself and it didn't help in my vehicle. In fact it was still there when I started all this. I even tried to add a few snap together toroids, but that didn't do it either. Every vehicle is different, so you have to see what works in your situation.

I guess my bad old Ford is not so bad after all. :LOL:

karo said:
Here's what bob uses. :LOL:
bobscom6combiner0011ds5.jpg
Is the pepsi can there to help give it color:p

funny thing is in my TS 667V I watch one smoke all the time...
so me still looking into this problem :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.