• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fuel pump noise

have you tried some of those snap-on ferrite beads from radioshack? I put some on the speedo sensor of my bigtruck and got the rf out of it.

but usually you need enough power lead off the pump to wrap on the ferrite several wraps or you could get some rf chokes and wire them inline which would make more gooder sense.

The 'best' way to get rid of fuel pump noise is to do the same thing that the manufacturers recommend, by-pass it as close to the pump as possible. Didn't say it was the easiest or cheapest way, just the best way. :)
- 'Doc

The capacitor is correct.
Make sure its a low-inductance type, or it wont do much good.
Whatever value you use, I recommend at least 50volt rating because of the (noise) power it might need to dissipate.

Other first thing is to make sure it really is fuel pump noise. If its a gas engine: Ignition noise exactly follows engine rpm. fuel pump noise doesnt so much, and it might start just before you crank the engine. Get a portable AM broadcast radio and a unused channel, hold it up near the pump wires when you have the vehicle jacked up.

When its all done, its always a good idea to install a braided strap on the exhaust pipe because its rubber mounted for vibration. It prevents the exhaust pipe from re-radiating such noises and generally makes your RF situation better.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.