• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

fuel pump nosie coming thur my antenna

lugnut

Feb 17, 2011
I have a 2003 chevy pick up with a wilson 1000 roof mount general lee radio plus a super star 250 amp. I hooked up my base antenna to the truck and with it running and there is no nosie. but hooked to wilson 1000 I get fuel pump nosie.

You will have to address the noise at the source by adding a filter at the fuel pump. You could try the snap on chokes but I don't think that will work.

Fords, like my old junk, are bad for this.

Torrid chokes, grounding the tank to the frame and cab may help.

My mustang , with the coil on plugs, went stupid when I upgraded to accel units. RF in the cb, 2 meter and set off my radar detector.

You need to get a Pyrmad 35 amp car stereo noise filter. I had alternator noise coming through my radio I got one of these noise filters and it solved my problem

bzzt. poster said he had no noise with antenna disconnected.
It means noise is coming thru antenna. Not DC power line.

Fuel pumps do radiate their noise from the DC power wires going to it. But fuel pump wires are isolated from radio DC as far as conducted noise. The noise from fuel pump is being radiated by the DC wires connecting to it.
The previous recommendations are correct: ferrite and grounding tank.
But probably the most effective is capacitors across the DC line to pump. Need to be of low inductance type. probably best range is 100nF to 470nF. But the voltage rating needs to be at least double the DC voltage on the pump in order to be able to absorb noise power. The nuisance of installing capacitors is that it requires splicing the wires, soldering and re-insulating them, which is more work than ferrite. But the right capacitor should be more effective.
Problem with fuel pump is that its inside the tank, and impossible to install filtering components at optimum place right at the pump. So you can only put it at the nearest accessible location as near the pump as possible.

hello to all
here is the answer to your problem this is how i fix mine on my 97 chevy astro van=http://97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.htm
enjoy and pass it along.:D:D:D:D:D

hello to all
here is the answer to your problem this is how i fix mine on my 97 chevy astro van=http://97vette.com/sporttrac/rfi_fix/rfi_fix.html
enjoy and pass it along.:D:D:D:D:D

i gorgot to add the l at the end check it now it works.

make sure everything is wired to battery. may wanna try
the magnum filter cord.there not much money. or that that
filter dtb suggested.also try relocating your antenna this probaly
wont work but may wanna give it a shot

my 2001 hyundai elantra put some major RFI from the fuel pump so i just took an automotive condensor and hooked it to the positive and ground and "poof" the noise from the pump is pretty much gone....now i have to put one on the cooling fan cause when it kicks in i hear it for sure.

my 2001 hyundai elantra put some major RFI from the fuel pump so i just took an automotive condensor and hooked it to the positive and ground and "poof" the noise from the pump is pretty much gone....now i have to put one on the cooling fan cause when it kicks in i hear it for sure.

Yep, Capacitors seem to cure a lot of problems.(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.