• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Funny Story

123kid

Mar 6, 2012
Last night "im in new england" we had a blizzard.During the storm i had a few friends in other towns running plows and a few base stations.During the night a lady came on she was plowing in my town never heard her before.We chatted a bit and i told her what area i was in.She laughed and said that was her husbands route.10 minutes later his driver breaks down in front of my house "they own a masonry company had a few trucks.I had to direct her husband here via the radio.I gotta say cbs still have their place in the emergency communications department.Her husband showed up jump started his employee and thanked me.

Reactions: 5 people

Good Post.
Radio regardless if it is CB/Ham/Public service radio serves a purpose.
I live in the Sierras Near Yosemite Nat Park there are many many places up here were there is no cell coverage, but you would be surprised how many people up here have radio...be it Ham or CB, or both.
Even today they are useful tools.

Jeff

Reactions: 2 people
Many people say that CB is a waste of spectrum and I do not like many aspects of the hobby today but I personally feel the band paid for its keep with the first life it helped save and the first lonely hour it helped pass.

Reactions: 3 people
CB is Now and Always will be..
A Very Strong Tool to have and use..

Most Especially in times of need.

Actually that holds true of Any and All 2 way communications..

People often make fun of this or that aspect of some or all of 2 way Non Professional Communications..
Those Very Same people will sing a Different tune when and or if they require the use of communications when their Power & or Cel loses service for whatever reason..

I was Extremely Surprised in the Recent Hurricane Sandy Hurricane that there was No one using FRS/GMRS or MURS

I like everything I have read on this thread:D

CB, is entertaining, fun, easy to use, obnoxious, rude, crude, basically classified as cheap entertainment.

I have also made some GREAT dx contacts on 11 meters, enjoyed some fantastic rag chews and came to understand that Jerry Springer's guests all talk on 11 meters.

It is what it is but it is usually never boring.

Reactions: 1 person
CB is Now and Always will be..
A Very Strong Tool to have and use..

Most Especially in times of need.

Actually that holds true of Any and All 2 way communications..

People often make fun of this or that aspect of some or all of 2 way Non Professional Communications..
Those Very Same people will sing a Different tune when and or if they require the use of communications when their Power & or Cel loses service for whatever reason..

I was Extremely Surprised in the Recent Hurricane Sandy Hurricane that there was No one using FRS/GMRS or MURS

I too, am surprised that so many people seem to be unawares of the potential for these little radios.
I think that if the base radios were displayed along with the handhelds there might be more people using them.

Radio

To me radio is exciting more exciting and full of wonder than todays wireless technology.Today your not transmitting your voice wirelessly over the air to cell towers its data.Cell technology today is understandable and less impressive than a man transmitting his voice over air something like 100 years ago.How does the human mind create things in a time when those things seemed impossible.Even today knowing the science behind it its still hard to grasp.This is a time when a fan was a home cooling appliance.There was no air conditioning units but a man sent his voice invisibly over the air.This is why i love it so much.There is nothing but me my power supply radio and antenna.I talk all over the world with the help of the ionosphere.The very earth and its natural occurences how magical is that??????

Its something the people of today will never understand because communications to them is based around a false reliability.A wire must be present at some point with multiple connections amongst various routes to complete their connection.All i need to make my connection is the airwaves and electricity which i can generate off the grid.This is way radio will never fade.Its the most reliable source of communication.

Other than having a small collection of old radios collecting dust for a long time...that's why I got off my butt and started back into CB's and finally got my ticket. If the infrastructure takes a big old dump, another Joplin tornado, Katrina or Sandy...what will we have to communicate? CB's for most folks, Hams & 2-way (public safety etc).

Good job man!

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.