• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

G.E. CB

Most radios are made or were made by one of the Major companies Uniden being one of the bigest they are made to what the namebrand or companies desired specs are.

Nightwatcher, I can't answer your question I don't think, but I owned a GE SuperBase and found that to be the best 11 meter non-tube solid state base station I ever owned. The look, controls, sound both RX/TX were great and it really looked good right down to the finest details.

It made a great signal and I loved that speech compression thing they did with some of them. I believe over time there were two different compression designs in the same model however, and I cannot recall the destinctions.

It was just a really great looking and working radio. Even today they sell pretty hot when you can find one and sometimes bring a price equal and greater than when new.

When you see something technical about them you will also likely see references to the other higher end products of the times, the Tram's, Daks, and Browning's come to mind. However, like all in that group they had some technical problems that developed over time and when I got mine out two or three years ago it worked great for a while and then began to develope an on/off intermittent problem.

I sold it at a HamFest in Beaumont, even testing it there under those conditions and still got $250 for it at auction. It just looked that good the guy said. I gave the buyer my contact info, but I never heard back from him. If you look at some of the Old Nostalgia Sites you might find something there about these really great radios.

I believe what Tony said may really be true of the many other GE mobile models, but I'm not sure about this particular base. It just looked too good and if you look inside it really had that hand crafted look. It was far more modular and boards were very busy and complicated. Far more than the Browning and Tram D models, and it put the Dak interior to shame. You would really have to see one up close to see what I'm talking about.

Maybe DTBRadio can tell you more.

G.E. ........ I do believe they were cybernet boards which were from that ever lov'in company "Midland" ....now if IM wrong here ? You can beat me , whip me or slap me , whatever floats your boat. :p

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.