• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 33+

Audio Man

Jan 13, 2008
I had a Galaxy 33+ gave to me this am. it was hooked up backward and dirty, i mean dirty, meter didn't work no light in the meter and so on. Wasn't hacked up on the inside, just a simple mod clip and thats it.
got it up and running, it does not have the 1969 in it so I'm only getting about 18w out of it peak.
The problem is this, i was having a little trouble with the band switch (hi-Low) not changing, after a little contact cleaner on it, and all the others it seems to be working fine now.
However, on low power i have it keying 1/2 w swing to about 18-19peak, on hi it keys 7 and swings the same. but the modulation drops out when the power is on hi, i had an on air report and they said that the mod fell way out and the sig dropped also, but is fine on low power, I'm showing full out put on the meter here. And they say the carrier and the modulation have a little static in with it. What can this be and how do i fix it?

Thanks for your help

Drop the High power dead key to not over 5 watts. Then set the low power dead key for nothing lower than 1 1/2 watts. Also check and make sure the antenna connector is tight and you are not able to move it. Too high of a key on a single final radio will drop your audio.

thats not it, i turned it down to 4 watts same thing,
Now its doing the same thing on low power to. Just not loud, i also replaced tr-51, no go. Any ideas
It almost sounds off freq, but its not

Move the power and mike gain controls while talking to see if they are causing the problem. If they were extremely dirty they might need replacing. A bad alignment can cause problems like this also.

i replaced the echo board, it took care if the problem on low power, its louder now on low power than before, however still cut by 75% on hi power.

ok got the power issue straight.
But the audio is really scratchy, the audio sounds like its coming through a blown speaker, with that static scratchy sound, what do i need to replace to clear it up, it has one mod limiter clipped, there are 2 that can be clipped in the 33+ r 249 and r 246, its has 249 clipped, if i put it back i get no modulation at all, and it still sounds the same.

If one of the legs have been clipped on the limiter, just use a low watt soldering iron and re-attach it. Test it with a diode checker to be sure that it is good. Try to bring the radio back to a zero state - back to stock as you can. Then adjust form there. I'm new to messing with radios, but that works for me. If you can get a hold - or already have - a freq counter, go to the test points and see if they are whre they should be. You have already put the echo board in, so whatever audio problem is there may still be masked by having it on. If the modulator transistor is working once again, any other audio problem may be in the audio chip or possibly the AM regulator. Like I said, I am new to this, but I remember where the problem zones are found. Test the power transistor as well; they can also be weak and need replacing.
Thinking out loud...

well i got it up and running now, it has the same audio level on both hi and low power. But it still sounds trashy, Static in the voice. I have changed tr51 and the am mod amp tr50, replaces the final as well. I also cant seem to use the mic gain, If i use a d-104 i have to turn the radio mic gain all the way down, and it will squeal using a stuck mic sometimes, or it picks up a noise that sounds like a fan, but i have no fan or anything running in here? I hope i can get it going, i was gonna use it as parts, but i been messing with it so long now, i want to get it going.
would it be the audio chip> what else would it be that i haven't changed? I know i cant use the echo board at all, soon as i turn it on, feedback, bad feedback.

Ok i put back the orginal mod limiters, However i could not get any swing. So i took out tr53, that took care of the audio problem. I also disabled the talkback. The problem im having now is feedback. with a stock mic i cant turn the mic gain over about 8 oclock without feedback so bad i cant talk. What can i do to fix the feedback problem?

Ok i put back the orginal mod limiters, However i could not get any swing. So i took out tr53, that took care of the audio problem. I also disabled the talkback. The problem im having now is feedback. with a stock mic i cant turn the mic gain over about 8 oclock without feedback so bad i cant talk. What can i do to fix the feedback problem?

Hmm, TR53 is the AMC amp, why did you remove it? Remove TR32 which is the AMC shunt will disable any audio limiting. With the echo board having problems and being replaced I would look to grounding issues in the radio for the squealing. Sounds like some are missing or not making good contact. With the talkback disabled where are you hearing the squeal from? Check on the mike connector board and make sure the rf chokes on it are good and not fried also.

thanks guys, well i got it, heres the prob, if i take the top lid off (solder side) i have no feedback at anytime. But as soon as i put the cover on, Bam, feedback. what coudl that be??

RF getting into the audio. One thing I have seen work sometimes it to run a ground wire from the radio to the microphone. I know it already has one in the cord but try it. Check the chassis grounds as when the cover is on it places a different stress on the board when it is tightened up.

RF getting into the audio. One thing I have seen work sometimes it to run a ground wire from the radio to the microphone. I know it already has one in the cord but try it. Check the chassis grounds as when the cover is on it places a different stress on the board when it is tightened up.

I got it pretty well straightened out, i still get some noise on low power with 1w dk, but on high power it clears right up, only with echo board on it does that. so i guess thats just part of the game i guess.
Now this ground wire, where would YOU suggest running it from and to? from where on the board (one of the grounds to the chassis?) and to where on the mic pcb?
thanks for your help BC.. and everybody else that added info..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.