• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 88hl warble

Fdtrucker

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 5, 2005
Southern Shore Of Lake Ontario
Hi all. Its been a while..
I am stumped. I just recieved a Galaxy 88hl and it performs awesome.. Problem is when it warms up it develops a warble on RX all modes and USB tx. I thought it might be power related but it has a solid 14.3 volt supply on the base station.This radio is going to go in my work truck in the morning, It is passable on AM mode but this warble is gonna make me feel real uneasy.. I need a hi power rig to cut through the boneheads at the landfill hi hi. Help would be appreciated
Brian

I am stumped. I just recieved a Galaxy 88hl and it performs awesome.. Problem is when it warms up it develops a warble on RX all modes and USB tx. I thought it might be power related but it has a solid 14.3 volt supply on the base station.This radio is going to go in my work truck in the morning, It is passable on AM mode but this warble is gonna make me feel real uneasy.. I need a hi power rig to cut through the boneheads at the landfill hi hi. Help would be appreciated
Brian

sounds like the bfo is weak,or going out...the mag radios are good for that,the early ones.Not a biggie...

I've heard an 88 behave like this, but had no clue what was going on with it. What's the fix?

Simple, difficult, where is the BFO in the radio? Parts availability?

I've got a couple of 88's. First time I've heard of this problem. It uses the same chassis as a Galaxy 99 or a 77 and a lot of other export radios. Which covers a lot of radios. Uses the ept3600-14 chassis. Got about five of the ept3600-xx radios and none of them have any problem like this. Worked on a dozen or so radios for other people and never seen this problem ever. Be interested in finding the cause too . . .

the only time I have seen this on the 88 was when the power supply did not have enough amps and voltage to run the radio or the 2sb754 3 legged trans on the side of the case was not strong enough to give enough volts out from the radio being over peaked. the stock one was a 2sb754 and to up grade it go to a 2sb827 or a 2sb817. galaxy started putting a 2sb827 in as stock after a few years. a little more amps out to the radio. not saying this is what your problem is but a possiblility of a known problem the radios could have. this is just some thing for you to start with to look at. with it in the vehicle you may not have a problem as long as it gets a full 14.0 volts from your vehicle.

Most of the Galaxy and Mirage 88 and 99 models had this issue and I know this because Ive had them all and my damndest luck they all did it after time. I contacted Galaxy directlyb a few years back and they sent me a lengthly reply explainingg that it was do to the particular oscillators the radios used and told me they are great radios with lots of features but also said "If people are straight Sideband users that this isnt the best choice of radio" I was down in the dumps because I loved thos radios and my wife loved her 88 aswell. And I stuck so much time into straightening the warbling out to no prevail. I even took the things to 2 shops. The radios were all then sold and I went with the RCI 2950 chasis radio and the Uniden HR-2510 as far as export goes.

Reactions: 1 person
Brian

Warble on Receive; not transmit.
Never heard of it; perhaps Xit13 has seen it and has dealt with it.

I've encountered warble on transmit.
But that was caused by the PLL circuit being unstable and that can be fixed.

Last edited:
Atleast yours
didnt have the Osc issue like most. Thats why I was p!$$ed because I knew people the exact radios and theirs worked great no Osc or anyother problems. But also know lots of people who did have the transmit warble issues and heard people n SSB and knew right away what they were running and asked and sure enough.

I then went to the Galaxy Pluto since I couldnt find another Galaxy II I need to get into an old computer I have and get the tech support reply I got back from Galaxy I know I saved it because of all the time I spent trying to straighten those radios out Robb. As I said I loved those radios they had audio to burn LMAO!!

I bet a person nowdays can google the issue but back in the late 1990's I couldnt find any info on the problem which is why I eventually went straight to Galaxy themselves for help or info.

the only time I have seen this on the 88 was when the power supply did not have enough amps and voltage to run the radio or the 2sb754 3 legged trans on the side of the case was not strong enough to give enough volts out from the radio being over peaked. the stock one was a 2sb754 and to up grade it go to a 2sb827 or a 2sb817. galaxy started putting a 2sb827 in as stock after a few years. a little more amps out to the radio. not saying this is what your problem is but a possiblility of a known problem the radios could have. this is just some thing for you to start with to look at. with it in the vehicle you may not have a problem as long as it gets a full 14.0 volts from your vehicle.

The power supply runs my 100 watt HAM rigs no prob. The 88 is stock and is running 10 watts on AM so dont think its a power issue but you never know. Ill hook it up in the truck and cross my fingers.

Warble on Receive; not transmit.
Never heard it; perhaps Xit13 has seen it and has dealt with it.

I've encountered warble on transmit.
But that was caused by the PLL circuit being unstable and that can/has been fixed.

It does it on usb and a little on lsb and its sort of noticeable on am but the average joe wouldn't notice it on am.. It does have a slight funny oscillation sound in rx but its useable. hope that makes sense..

you might take a look at this and see if it helps any.from galaxy

Galaxy DX Radios
Model DX88HL
Chassis EPT3600-14B
Symptom Weak RX and RF Gain control not working properly.
Cure Replace D15, D16 and TR17 with original replacement parts. Using generic replacements can cause problems in this area.
Additional Comments
Category RX
Posted By Galaxy Tech Support

It does it on usb and a little on lsb and its sort of noticeable on am but the average joe wouldn't notice it on am.. It does have a slight funny oscillation sound in rx but its useable. hope that makes sense..

You might have to up-grade the voltage regulator and make sure the power cord is heavy enough. That or re-tune the radio for 20 watts PEP on SSB and see if it stops. If that works then Set the AM dead key for 2 watts on Low and 8 watts on Hi. The only other suggestion would be get a Galaxy service manual and perform the complete factory alignment process.

Replace the 1000uf capacitor that goes off of the 8+ volt regulator. Also check and replace the 10.240Mhz crystal. Also, touch up solder joints in the area of the VCO as well. Do this, and it will fix it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.