• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 919 Query

94 at Large

Dec 16, 2012
I am considering the 919 as a nuthin' fancy, basic radio for the truck. From what I have gleaned, it appears that a basic radio straight out of the box is a crap shoot as to whether or not it will perform it's best. Will a peak and tune keep it from being used in conjunction with an amp (250 Palomar)? I understand that it has a power knob that gives the ability to turn the transmit power down.

I realize that this is a loaded inquiry but I have been out of the loop for years and would like some input as to a reputable on-line vendor(s). Not necessarily the best price but one that has a solid rep for doing what they advertise.

Looks like a pretty full featured rig in a small chassis. Not a bad way to go for what you are wanting, and for the price. If it has mosfets, I'd be careful about having it tuned. I have a 939 with mosfets that will do about 30 watts, which might be too much depending on which transistors (pills) are in your Palomar. Most folks around here recommend DTB and Custom CB Radios for a good, no clip/snip tune. I'm sure if you call one of those guys they could steer you in the right direction to match up with your amp.

RT307

The 919 is a good talking radio that tunes up very well. The variable power feature if set right will let you advjust the dead key to match up to an amplifier. With your Palomar 250 something like 1.5 - 2 watts dead key swinging 18-25 watts should do fine.

When you are ready to buy the radio go with a place that does good tech work, have the radio properly tuned, aligned, and checked over ONCE. Then leave the cover on it and enjoy.

I run mine barefoot and I've always gotten good audio reports, and it's got one of the best receives of any rig I've ran mobile.

On quiet nights I can often talk to stations that aren't even moving the S-meter.

It's a great barefoot radio. I know Doug at Custom cb was doing a dual mosfet mod as well as his own audio kit/mod. They were doing something like 60 watts with strong audio. Not a bad choice for a driver who can't run an amp.

Thanks for the replies. Per recommendations I am planning on swapping an older model Midland 77-285 for the Galaxy. Just wanted to make sure that the 919 would not overdrive the amp in my current set-up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.