• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 919, shuts off during tx?

n4jnw

Sterile
May 15, 2010
Irvine, Kentucky
I have a Galaxy 919 (IRF 520 mosfet), with a mild tune. It's an exceptionally clean and well cared for radio since it was bought new by me about a year ago.

The other day, I was talking on it, and it just lost power. Checked the power supply, still at 13.8 and checked the power cable for a loose connection and it checked out fine. Checked jumpers, checked SWR, everything is fine.

The radio just blinked off like I'd blown a fuse, but I didn't. I ohmed out the fuse and even replaced it with a good one to make sure.

When the radio loses power, you can turn the on/off switch on and off and the speaker will softly "pop", so the chassis seems to be getting voltage. After you leave it off for a few minutes, it will power right back up and stay on until you key down and talk again. You can key down briefly and unkey, and it will be fine, but the second you actually modulate it will talk for maybe 3 or 4 seconds and it's lights out again.

WTF is going on? I plan on taking it to my tech in a few weeks, but in the meantime I'd like to get some ideas on what I could help him with that it *may* be. I've never had a radio do this. Suggestions?

If it has the older style glass buss fuse holder check that to see if it's a bad connection on either end.

Over load on those contacts give you fits.

Try a different power cord because the plug could be opening up internally. If it is something else the Galaxy CB radios have a 2 year warranty.

POWERED OFF

If you have a can of circuit freeze, it will find your problem easy enough, I keep a can handy for those circumstances.
As one of the guys pointed out.it is in the power supply or fuse holder...you can the old techs way..power up and then take an eraser from a pencil and poke around fuse holder and the power supply area that is the first easy step to see if the fuse connection is bad or a cold solder joint has shown up, next component spray..
You are in IRVINE, KY. you might call R and L near you and ask if they carry component spray..rat shack wouldnt in most cases know the difference..
DOCTOR/795

the pop in the speaker is the clue here.
set is getting power no problem.but the regulated supply that runs everything is going away.look for a pnp plastic to-220 transistor bolted to the chassis with wires to the board.seen plenty of these bad and many are intermittant.
+9 goes away and the rig goes dead.

The radio just blinked off like I'd blown a fuse, but I didn't. I ohmed out the fuse and even replaced it with a good one to make sure.

What mackmobile43 said in his post sounds like the problem. If the whole radio blinks on and off; then the power feed into the radio MUST be the issue. I would turn the radio on and start wiggling all of the power cords, connectors, on/off switch, and fuse connector. Got to be something in there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.