• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy 959DX

donemad

Jun 21, 2008
Anyone know what finals are in this? Just wandering if a 2078 would work! Thanks for any help......

The Galaxy 959's will either have a C2166/C1969 set in them, or it will have 2 - IRF520's. It depends on when it was made. Early year versions (I believe 2008 and older) have the C2166/C1969 set. Later versions have the IRF520's.

That being said, a C2078 won't work, unfortunately. You'll need to get the exact replacements for the radio to work properly. Good luck!

~Cheers~

Common problem: If you have the mosfets finals....which is a good thing, and they are blown, it many times happens because they will peak and tune out to some pretty dang good power output. But doing this and talking a LOT of the radio....they will get hot (and then too hot) You can relive this by adding a Galaxy style medium power radio type heat sink to the back of the radio. Be sure it mounts completely flat and use the Heat Sink Grease Compound which is necessary to properly transfer heat.

Good luck

Reactions: 1 person
dont understand

why someone would run a radio that hard.Get a amp...its easier on radio and doesnt put out that many spurious signals...hehe there isnt any diffrence between 20 wts or 30 wts,you have to double the signal to get one s unit...73 de JW

When I bought mine in 2007 it came with ONE IRF520, not 2. They do not come with 2 unless it has been modified.

They might have changed them over earlier than 2008. The reason I say the newer ones have 2 MOSFETS is because they have one for the driver, one for the final. The 959's aren't a dual final radio from factory.

~Cheers~

Last edited:
They might have changed them over earlier than 2008. The reason I say the newer ones have 2 MOSFETS is because they have one for the driver, one for the final. The 959's aren't a dual final radio from factory.

~Cheers~
Well this was made in 10-08, so does this mean it has one c1969 pre-driver and one c2166 final for it?

Well this was made in 10-08, so does this mean it has one c1969 pre-driver and one c2166 final for it?

More than likely it has the irf 520's in it. Which is actually better since the 520's are dirt cheap compared to the 2166/1969's. Just take off the bottom cover look to the left front facing you and the finals are bolted to the frame look on them see what #s you see.

I did some more research, looks like they were doing MOSFETS in these as far back as 2005-2006. Most likely, you have the IRF520's in it. They will be cheap to replace, about $1.25 apiece or less, depending on where you buy them.

Does the radio blow a fuse when you turn it on? Or as soon as you plug it into a power source? Usually that's a sign of bad finals. Most of the time (not always tho) MOSFETS go short when they fail. But as cheap as they are to replace, it certainly doesn't hurt to replace them anyhow.

I don't know if the radio has been messed with or not, but you'll want to make sure that VR17 (SSB APC) is NOT turned up all the way. That itself will cause early failure of the finals. If this is turned all the way up on your radio, back it off about 1/4 of a turn.

Good luck!

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.