• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy 979 intermittent receive issue

pmedic433

Jan 4, 2013
I am having intermittent receive issues, the receive will get loud or quiet randomly. Also when it is quiet the SWR meter will jump to 3.5 when transmitting. SWR when the during (loud receive) is 1.6 to 1.7. I have checked coax for shorts and open, none found. Antenna and gound is good.
Looking for any suggestions on where to look.

Thanks!

I did check the coax, no open, no shorts, antenna is grounded to body n frame. Verified by ohm meter. Don't have a dummy load to test out on. Guess its off to the radio shop.

Check the mic plug, if that radio requires a mic be plugged in for the receive to work it might need a solder touched up.

Next check the SO239 connector on the radio as well as the antenna coax once more. By this I mean the coax at the PL259, it might look good but when you wiggle it you might find an issue.

Last you could take the cover off and with the eraser side of a pencil push on the board in several places. If the receive drops out you might have a cold solder.

Reactions: 1 person
I am having intermittent receive issues, the receive will get loud or quiet randomly. Also when it is quiet the SWR meter will jump to 3.5 when transmitting. SWR when the during (loud receive) is 1.6 to 1.7. I have checked coax for shorts and open, none found. Antenna and gound is good.
Looking for any suggestions on where to look.

Thanks!

I had a similar problem with a SuperStar SS-158EDX. What I found was that the wire going from the circuit board to the SO-239 center was not soldered good and would make intermittent contact. Easy fix with a hot soldering pencil. Not the only issue I had with this radio and not the last. Just today I discovered that the 10kc switch does not work. It did work, but now does nothing. I can't remember ever using it but it should work as intended. Radio is less than a year old. Good luck with yours...

Little W

It's at the shop now. Checked and rechecked the connectors, wiggling it and it still checks out fine. I will post what the shop finds.
Thanks for the suggestions!

The radio is fine, I did find that the tip of my skipshooter antenna had corrosion on the tuning tip. Cleaned it and retuned. So far it is working fine.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.