• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy dx 949 low am modulation

doc919

Dec 6, 2012
mid south tennessee
I have the galaxy dx 949 (mosfet version) I have very low modulation on AM but seems to work well on ssb swinging up to 18w. On AM deadkeying 1won low power swinging 1.5w .on showing about 4% modulation on 949 meter & also checked the same with an inline to verify. Thank you for any help or suggestions. I have already checked the oltage regulato just in case. All is ok there

Is pretty much stock except radio has already been tuned to match my box.i haven't done any major mods or limiter clipping cause I want a clean sounding radio over the airwaves.

Check your high power pot setting. That's my guess. I have my 959's low deadkey set at 1.5 watts and the high deadkey set at 6 watts.

Further note:with the deadkey set low my 959's modulation meter doesn't swing full scale even with a Road Devil mic.

Galaxy Radios DX949 Service Manual

Note: I changed the pic and posted the link instead for 949 adjustments.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 53
Before it messing up on low power deadkey 1 swinging to 8. High deakey at 4 swinging to about the same.. Now deadkey reading 1 watt swinging to 1.5 watts. High deadkey at 4 with no swing on the am

You didn't touch VR16? How to you sound on talkback?
If the modulation meter is set right 100% modulation will show around 80% by saying a loud audio into the stock Galaxy mic and 100% whistling into it with the rf power turned up on the front of the radio.
What mic are you using?
The SSB alc could be turned up high or maybe SSB power. It should only swing to 12 watts(legal watts)on SSB if everything else is set right.

Last edited:
Note: that's my observations on my DTB tuned 959 with it set at a legal 4 watts high dead key/1 watt low deadkey,100% modulation,12 watts legal SSB power.

Sounds like either a bad solder joint or poor AM reg. Push on the board with an eraser end of a pencil.

Typically, when the AM Regulator is at fault, the symptom is a high carrier (~16 watts) output and no modulation.
But I'd agree there is a problem with the AM modulation circuit somewhere.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.