• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959 final change

With that radio a proper peak tune and alignment works great. If you want more power get an amplifier. For the money spent on bigger finals the small increase in power will not be very cost effective.

Hmmm. 35 to 40 Watt peaks from a single final transistor?

If it's that easy, why do all those other models need two finals? Can't imagine they would spend the money cramming two finals into a radio if ONE would do what he claims?

Sounds too good to be true.

MRF-476 is meant to be used as the final in a AM-only radio, OR as a SSB CB driver, equivalent to ECG-235

MRF-475 is meant to be a nominal 16-Watt PEP CB SSB final, like ECG-236.

Not really a step up, at all. More like a step sideways.

Besides, they have been discontinued just like the MRF-477 (40-Watt) and MRF-497 (60-Watt) parts. The only reason they aren't completely sold out is because there's no reason to buy them in the first place. The 477 and 479 are sought after as replacements (477) or upgrades (497) for radios that used those types, like President Jackson, (old) Lincoln and Uniden HR-2510/2600. For that reason, they quickly became rare after they were discontinued forever.

if I had a 959 handy ,I would give it a try just to see ,doesn't look to complacated . He did say for audio reasons that he dropped the DK down to 2.5 and it was then peaking 28 (sounds more realistic ,Galaxy that is), still a lot of helpful "free" info there. CB Tricks also has some very good info on the radio as well. Wonders never sieze to amaze me how guys love nothing more to get more more more out of a radio, It's all good I suppose ? but I would just rather let a amplifier take care of the rest for purposes of more more more. (-: Switch Kit

"RF Output Increase Modification"

"This modification will allow the DX959 & DX949 to exhibit the RF output and swing of the Galaxy DX-series 10-meter radios. The board was always capable of this type of output; it was simply choked off by the design engineers in order to meet FCC 11-meter specifications."

"The first thing you need to do is turn up VR14 which is the AM high power variable. If you?ve already done the modulation improvements, you should be able to dead key about 8-10 watts and swing around 15 watts. 18 watts is probably the best you?ll get (using a peak-reading Bird wattmeter)."

more funny stuff from firebreather.

the 949/959 will do 1.75 - 20+ Watts (low rf power) / 7.5 - 30 Watts (high rf power) on AM and 35 Watts on SSB without any modifications.

i have a 949 & 959 they will put out the watts and then some on a brid meter 959 55watts 7 949 about 38 watts yes same bord one erf 2030 and ons irf 520

Just when you think you heard it all...................
BTW I have a factory stock 2010 Ford Ranger P/U with a 4 cylinder and it does 11 second 1/4 mile runs. LOL.

Wow, a 5 year old thread comes back to life. If he sent that 959 to Doug at Custom cb radio's I suppose those wattage numbers are possible. You would have spent some $$$ on that custom work though no doubt. He also does an RFX-75 mod to those radio's.

The 959 can be converted to dual MOSFETs - in which case those 50+ wattage numbers are quite realistic. SO long as the tech/enthusiast knows what he is doing. The parts are cheaper than hard-to-find 1969 transistors to do the same job. Maybe $10 to it with the IRF-520n's; but adjusting them should be done by someone that has enough experience to keep the radio finals from self-destruction due to improper voltage feed. Some other circuit changes are needed too. Necessitates a heat sink on the rear for that mod. Yup yup.

Last edited:
Here is the schematic for the Galaxy 959 that uses dual finals with MOSFETs.

Important:
Replace Q54 with a 2SB817
Replace Q55 with a 2SA1012

The dual MOSFET final will draw a LOT of extra current, so replacing these parts is essential to replace in order to keep the radio together.

Attachments

• dx959_mosfet_sch.pdf
    396.8 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.