• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy DX 959- What a flop! (For me anyway.. Just my Luck!)

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
I know alot of you guys had luck with the 959 and like them... But after the bad luck I had with this one I will never buy another Regular CB again much less even a Galaxy.

Display burn out, Meter quit working... Had it P&T'd twice and I swear it puts out less than a Cobra 19! :shock:

Needless to say we put it on the Yard sale table... Just wondering how you all that's had one liked them??

Wow I haven't seen a bad one yet. Usually they do real well and are more reliable than the exports. Was it a new radio?

galaxy 959

wow i know some one who used this radio as a base and it screamed . I wa sogna get one but i saw the midland 79-290 becase o fits size .i need something small with ssb and chanells fo rmy wifes hyundia . it surprising to hear bad things aobut the 959

Yeah it was brand new believe it or not... And if I had been someone reading this post I would have said the same thing! :?

I was going to take it into Bob's CB Shop since he is who I exclusively deal with... But I thought you know what, I'm not wasting another dime on the darn thing... So I bought my Connex 4300 HP to replace it and have been happy ever since.

What kills me is Galaxy uses the RCI boards.. The same one of 'course that makes the Ranger 6300/6900 I am so fond of...

I guess it's true what they say... There's a bad apple in every bunch. Be that as it may, it's because of this first and one time with a Galaxy that I doubt I will ever buy another radio that says Galaxy on the case.

And I sure can't condemn anyone for liking them.. Everyone that I talk too absolutely for the most part has nothing but good things to say about them.

NorthStar said:
You should send it in for Warranty Repair. Galaxy will stand behind their radios.

That's where I made my mistake... But at the time I was dang mad that I said to heck with it... I only lost $30.00 on the deal, I would have paid 1/2 that in shipping...

Oh well... My buddy is getting a 2517 Galaxy... If he likes it and it sounds good I may redeem myself with the Galaxy name and try one myself. We'll see what happens. :roll:

High Miller,

Your buddy should be satisfied with the radio as long as it is tuned and aligned properly that can make or break ya sometimes.

Yup I agree... He is getting everything at Bob's CB where I get all my stuff now...

It will be gone through right I am sure.. He is also going to see about getting a Top Gun Board etc...

It's definately going to be done right... It was specified to Bob that "Money is no object" :shock:

His station will be:

Galaxy 2517 (With Top Gun Board maybe??)
XForce XT-40012
Silver Salute Mic
Imax 2000 Up 70' to 90'

I'm sure he will be happy... :D

Northstar is right on the money.

Galaxy will stand behind their products. Bob F. in Pennsylvania is great to deal with. I have had several dealings with him before. I hate to say it but the Connex, Galaxy, RCI, Texas Ranger, Ranger, Mirage, Cobras in 96-97, and many others were and are made in Ranger factories. Although some of the exports are a little noisy on receive most of them are descent radios. Aligned properly they sound pretty darn good.

The Magnum and the Northpoint radios are made in the same factory in China. The Magnum has the Top Gun in it. One has to be very careful when aligning these radios because or the modulator. A scope I would think would be a must. Bob F. was involved in the Magnums made by RF Limited. Stan Wells in N.Y. owns the Northpoint line. He was helped out by Mr. Morrisan who was the former owner of Cherokee and Northstar. I have been told that Mr. Morrisan works now for Sema who bought out what was left of Cherokee and Stan Wells bought out what was left of the old Northstar line.

When you start talking about a Galaxy, General or RCI base for the price an inexpensive amateur radio with a 25-35 amp power supply might be worth looking into. The Icom 706MKIIG, the Kenwood TS-50, the Yaesu 857, or the Alinco 70 might be worth a look.

Good Luck.

CbShack part of that is correct. Doug Marrison was Wireless Marketing. He is now VP of Sima Corp. Stan wells just does tech support for Northpoint. Their is others involved far as ownership goes.

Yes we pride are selves on providing good help. Accurate as well. There's several radio forums out there but none with as much resources as this one.

Your right there.. Very Very informative... And alot of the people seem so much more eager and involved in a good way. I have been on one in particular for a while, and alot of what goes on there I don't see here...

Hope ya all had a good memorial day... Back to work tommorow for me... Probably be about 2 weeks before I'm back in... Looking forward to getting back to see all I missed.

there's a lemmon or two in every bunch )-: I never owned a 949 or 959 ......but I have had the "older" 148s and F series radios along with the Grant XL .....no problems there other then a bug or two that was always a easy fix . IM just a run of the mill cb radio operator , and I've had many exports over the years but 9 times out of 10 IM right back where I started from with an older type cb radio. Easy low maintanace on those as well , (also try and stay away from built in freq counters) but the Ranger add on Freq counters are a nice touch. Well IM just glad for places like Ebay ,swap meets and flea markets ,I can still find my every love'in older cb's if need be .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.