• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy dx95t vs. cobra 200gtldx

dx95t hands down. the cobra is a case of you grt what you pay for

Agreed, even if you have a bug free Cobra 200 the audio from the 95T will be much louder and more watts as well.

Distant Thunder said:
95T. Those cobras are nothing but junk. Its like the old saying.You get what you pay for.

I like mine fine. I can run it wide open at 175 watts and it doesn't over heat. Try that with a 95T and you will need a fan. Don't get me wrong, the 95T is a nice radio but that is one weakness.

If you compare the two radios with a basic peak and tune, the 95T is louder. The 200GTL, however, can be easily modified extremely loud audio. After modification, the 200's audio also tends to be sharper and more degfined than the 95T. Output levels are roughly comparable between the 2, since they both use a 2-pill (2290's) amp. The cobra amp, in my opinion, is the better over-all design. It has a very nice on-board filter design and good biasing, plus the fact that the Cobra's amp is part of the main circuit board, which means less chance of wiring going bad, and easier maintenance. One other thing, the 95T uses standard through-hole parts, while the Cobra uses surface-mount. Since surface-mount parts have almost no mass, they are practically vibration-proof. The 200, just from that simple fact, will better handle the abuse from a truck environment.

My 95T does 190 peak watts all day long.It does get hot but not to the point were it seems to hot and yes it has a built in fan. Cliped it did more power but it sounded like crap on side band.

667 chicago mobile said:
I have to say a Corba 148 F is the way to go..

I had the Cobra 148 GTL-F DX model, it was "JUNK", it DRIFTED worse than any other radio that I've owned. I traded a Grant-XL for the Cobra, that was a big mistake. I've talked on Galaxy radios, both base and mobile, but I never liked any of the Galaxy radios personally, although the one and only thing that I do like on the "95" is the BIG signal meter.
73 Jim :D

I cant comment on the 200 but I do own a 95T and its the best radio I have ever owned. Flat out smoked my S-9 in all aspects. I have it set to DK 20 watts and swing to 80 on AM and it is LOUD. SSB I crank it wide open on the varible and leave the mic gain at about 2 to 3 o'clock. She will run 175 watts out the back all day long on SSB.

Update>>>> A local just got a Cobra 200 tuned by the same shop that does all of my radio work. He has the same antenna setup as i do(i know i helped him set it up)and we live 5 miles apart both on flat ground.
My 95T tore him up on am and SSB.He got walked on no matter if we were talking 20 miles away or 100 miles away.MY radio tech tried to tell him to save his money and get a 95T but he wanted to go the cheap route.Oh well that cobra is for sell now!

This is the last time I will say it and it may be getting old but if you have a 95T and running it for a base get a Lasko 4904 personal task fan. I have my 95T set up about 4 inches and run the fan behind it and it works great!! You can get them at Lowes or Walmart for 13 bucks. If you want to see one look on Laskos site. Works great with Texas Star Moble amps on power supplies also.

The bottom line is I still think the Cobra is a gamble. A friend of mine had to have his new 2290 version sent in for warranty work. It came back doing 130 watts on AM and 70 watts SSB..... yes 70 watts SSB. Threy told him that is right where Cobra wants them set so they don't burn up or break. They further stated if he has is tuned up more the warranty is void. That is no where close to what I hear people say their 200's are doing, and it is not at all what DTB just stated. I would say the Cobra 200 is breaking down 5-8 times the rate the Galaxy 95T breaks. Until Cobra gets their stuff together I won't waste my money.

I'd have to say that DTB more then likely has the story right here on the Two radios, and more then likely is being more so nice about it then not , very reputable tech in the Ontario Cal. area basically calls the 95Ts and other high dollar Galaxys' along those lines a total waste of money and honestly calls them junk ,(Lord knows I have personally seen some of the larger boxes of warrenty radios coming into his shop all being 95Ts 93Ts 45s and what not) but there's also a few more tech's in the same area that say the same thing about them Hmmmm ? So what's really going on here ? Hmmmm ? bottom line here is this ......I personally don't care what kind of radio you have ,and what counts the most is that you are personally happy with the one you have. Sometimes all i really have to go on is what a Tech like DTB and others like him have to say about them in the end , you know ,the pros and cons . I have yet to here anything bad about the New C-200s that a slight modifaction wouldn't take care of , as matter of fact ,I've heard a few on the air and I was impressed , but then again that don't mean IM a guy with an expert ear ither.But anyway I look at it ,i give major props to Cobra ....IT'S ABOUT DAMNED TIME !!! (-: ......OH yeah .....9 times out of 10 ,the Tech was able to fix all those high dollar Galaxy's .......now that's a relief in itself. He also said that he really didn't care anyway because he was still making his money all the same. (-:

Yea Switch, DTB knows his stuff, I found his web site long before the forum. A cb shop south of our city bought a bunch of Cobra 200's, like maybe 12-15. Another local guy was going to stop in and check them out. On the down side they had sold all of em, as he went to leave there were five drivers standing in line to see the repair tech.......they all had a brand new Cobra 200's in hand. All five had to be sent in. So much conflicting information on these radio's thats for sure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.