• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

galaxy "gnf"

9Lives

Oct 3, 2012
Has anyone figured a way to improve this feature ? I keep trying to get used to it but it's just too..... hmm can't find the word for it. It's like its too much of what ever it is that it's doing

It just seemed like a hi-cut filter to me, and I never found much use for it. Made the audio really flat, and didn't help me pick out any far off in the weeds stations.

RT307

It just seemed like a hi-cut filter to me, and I never found much use for it. Made the audio really flat, and didn't help me pick out any far off in the weeds stations.

RT307

You hit the nail on the head 2RT307. At Least for me, tried it many times and totally useless. Seems like a marketing ploy of Galaxy.

Regardless ,does anyone want to try and figure out how to make a gnf into a good hi cut?

Nope. You take your 959, have it tuned and aligned properly and be done with it. Use the radio and have fun. You want ham rig type features you buy a Yeasu or Kenwood.

The tone control switch on my Magnum OmegaForce and Stryker 955HP are much more effective than the Galaxy GNF. I really think the GNF cuts too much of the high frequencies out.... but maybe that is just my ears? As I mentioned before, it makes your received stations sound REALLY flat. The Magnum and Stryker features just take some of the pain out of the white noise, and the stations received still sound nice and clear.

I don't think the Galaxy feature was thrown on as a gimmick, but the end result is not very effective. They could have called it GFN (good for nothing) in my case. There are some neat speakers out there that will accomplish the same thing, and also add on DSP setups that you might want to try instead. Many of them are time-tested and proven.

If you have the skills, or have a tech that likes to play with this sort of thing, then by all means have at it. It would be nice if there was a little mod to actually make the GNF work well.

RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.