• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Galaxy SSB receive questions

I understand where your coming from now.
Yes, sometimes those eBay purchases burn you.. Sometimes techs burn you too.. I got in to radio a bit late and didn’t spend money on new radios.. I should have bought some galaxies new when I had the chance.. Oh well… I bought a 959B new and had to send it off because it was off frequency and sounded bad on sideband.. I managed to pick up a 979F new in the box, but all my others are used.. I have a 95T2 that will change bands but won’t change channels.. That has been a fiasco…

Yes, sometimes those eBay purchases burn you.. Sometimes techs burn you too.. I got in to radio a bit late and didn’t spend money on new radios.. I should have bought some galaxies new when I had the chance.. Oh well… I bought a 959B new and had to send it off because it was off frequency and sounded bad on sideband.. I managed to pick up a 979F new in the box, but all my others are used.. I have a 95T2 that will change bands but won’t change channels.. That has been a fiasco…
Don't feel bad. I've had two new radios. A Uniden PC244 that somebody stole back in 1986, and the Anytone 5555+. Everything else has been an "at risk" purchase. Some turned out OK, some needed a little, or a lot, of work to get back to acceptable, and some were just straight up junk.

Reactions: Trainman 8274
I have a 95T2 that will change bands but won’t change channels.. That has been a fiasco…
That sounds like a bad channel switch, or the switch is missing the +vdc that feeds it. Could also be a PLL problem. Does it have receive and transmit on the one channel it does have on each band ?

That sounds like a bad channel switch, or the switch is missing the +vdc that feeds it. Could also be a PLL problem. Does it have receive and transmit on the one channel it does have on each band ?
Howdy,

Yes, I can make it receive and transmit on one channel. I put a PLL chip in it, so its probably the channel switch or it could be the 8vdc. It worked for about 1/2 hour when i got it together with a good amp board and stuff, then died. It'll need some slugs in IF cans, too and a good alignment. I started with a bad purchase of a 95T, so in looking for parts, I bought this 95t2. While looking at it, it transmitted and seemed to be in better working condition than the 95t. So I started working on it. Needless to say its been a challenge and frustrating and I should have bought one that worked....

Don't feel bad. I've had two new radios. A Uniden PC244 that somebody stole back in 1986, and the Anytone 5555+. Everything else has been an "at risk" purchase. Some turned out OK, some needed a little, or a lot, of work to get back to acceptable, and some were just straight up junk.
TM86, I dont feel bad. I just get frustrated.. I've had fun Constantly buying. lol! Ive bought stuff and traded and met some great people. I've been learning about repairing radios and I read a lot here. I see a lot of good advice and help here, vs ridicule and scorn for trying to fix a radio..

Just an update… I was not happy with having no meter movement on sideband, so while adjusting L11 and L12, I cracked the slugs… I put it aside for a while and remembered I had a junk 95T, so I took L11 and 12 from it and now have good receive and meter movement, so I suspect either L11 or L12 was bad.. Thanks for all the help!

Just an update… I was not happy with having no meter movement on sideband, so while adjusting L11 and L12, I cracked the slugs… I put it aside for a while and remembered I had a junk 95T, so I took L11 and 12 from it and now have good receive and meter movement, so I suspect either L11 or L12 was bad.. Thanks for all the help!
Gotta be careful turning those slugs. It’s about impossible to find the right size tuning screwdriver. Plastic ones get destroyed. Ceramic screwdrivers (which is what I use) can crack those cans.

I’d open the clarifier on those galaxies if you talk sideband; especially if they’re in a vehicle where the temp changes so much. As long as you tune someone else in, you’re guaranteed to be on their frequency when you transmit. Although, if they’re off frequency, now you are to lol. At least you know if you’re drifting.

Course/fine clarifier knobs (tx-rx/rx knobs) are the dummest invention known to man. There is no way to know when you’ve adjusted your transmit on frequency. You can’t trust the frequency display. Any Galaxy with that feature is an automatic open clarifier.

I just realized that your 95t has an open/closed clarifier feature. That pretty cool. Don’t see that often.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ AWP:
    Is it possible to be on a lake and have a homing directional beam being emitted from the shore so a person could navigate to that beam's source? For example at night to a jetty.
  • @ BJ radionut:
  • @ wavrider:
    sea que sea que,
    +1