• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GAP Antennas

Jay in the Mojave

Apr 6, 2005
Mojave Desert
Hello DJ956:

The Gap Antennas are good antnnas, I know the guys there at Gap in Fl. very well, there know their stuff.

I have used a few of the Gap Antennas and they work great. They are ment to be used not to far off the ground and have a low angle radiation, or take off angle.

Jay in the Mojave

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=jayinthemojave>Jay in the Mojave</A> at: 12/20/02 9:55:00 pm

I plan on testing out for a general class ticket next in the next month or two and plan on adding a multiband vertical to the ant. farm. Is anyone here familiar with GAP vertical antennas ?

www.gapantenna.com/

Thanks much,

DJ

CDX-956

CODE2.GIF

</p>

I would like to know if anyone used any of the Gap antennas on 11 meters?
And how they faired out.
The db gain?? What is it on 11 meters?
Do they have good ears, because I live in Wilmington Vt. and it's a valley and hard to get out. Want to stay away from fiberglass is possible.
I will be running an Icon 718 and a Ranger 2970dxn2 with this antenna if i decide to get one.
Can someone help me in a choice??

Thanks

Henry

lisisksa@msn.com

I just got a GAP Titan DX that I haven't taken out of the box yet. I'm gonna set it up this weekend and may be finished by Tuesday. If/when I do - I'll give it a brief critique.

Last edited:
I just got a GAP Titan DX that I haven't taken out of the box yet. I'm gonna set it up this weekend and may be finished by Tuesday. If/when I do - I give a brief critique.

Looking forward to your review; I'm considering a "Titan" right now but haven't found anyone near me that's used one...

I've had a Titan up for about two years now.

Summary

It works, particularly o.k. from 40m and up, on 80m it is limited at best and that is being very polite...tunes but doesn't really radiate much.

11m may work with a tuner, but the design of the antenna is for ground mounting and low angle radiation for DX. On 10m with mine mounted all of 6 feet off the ground, it's far from ideal for any local activity. Roof mounted would change that I'm sure but it would be awkward to get mounted and I guy mine even low to the ground so guying mid way up would be advised up in the wind.

I make up for the low performance by running it QRO on all bands but 80m and it definitely helps. It should be just dandy once propagation changes too so playing with a compromise antenna under the almost zero propagation the last two years, it hasn't been that bad.

I have property with room for a lot of options. In my particular case, would I do it again? No. I bought it before I really knew any better.

For people with limited space or reluctance to put down a proper ground radial field for a traditional vertical, they are well constructed and are a reasonably functioning compromise antenna.

If I were to do a GAP again, it would be one of the ones that use a proper ground radial field, they perform better than the Titan does.

Humm...

Didn't i just see another tread asking the same....LOL

Anyways..

The gap antennas are designed to be used on the ground.
They do work very well however are not really suited well for 11 meters

My Gap Titan DX works really good as a MultiBand antenna
But a Mono Band antenna nearly always out performs a MultiBand antenna..

For 11 meters i use the Interceptor I-10K
it is not a cheep antenna (neither is the Titan DX )
It is not a small antenna (neither is the Titan DX)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.