• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting back into it with a VX-8GR?

plinko

Aug 30, 2011
So I have been inactive for a long time with a pretty much dead Yaesu FT-51R from back in the day.

Since I had success with that HT, I thought that my new radio would be Yaesu as well - I am specifically looking at the VX-8GR

It seems to have far more features than I plan on using in the immediate future, but it will be nice to have some room to explore some new things as I start back up on the radio again.

From reading through the threads, it seems like there are a few accessories to consider at the same time:

1800ma battery
MH57A4B Mic
Replacement Antenna (recommendations?)
Perhaps a portable antenna to use when we are camping, etc? (Is there a recommendation or should I fashion a J-Pole or something?)

And as far as programming - it seems that software is the way to go - do I go with the Yaesu software? (I seem to remember readin that there is aftermarket software that does as much or more for less $$$ - is this right?)

DC Charger (or does it come with?)

I also read that a couple of people here have used it for Satellite - is this a realistic expectation? I have never done it before at all and know pretty much nothing about it - will have to do some reading up for sure to figure out what it is all about... :)

Anything else I should consider with my purchase?

After I get my list made, it is time to start shopping around... unless there is another HT I should be buying, which will require additional research on my part.

Thanks for all of the advice / suggestions / recommendations!

Bill
"Plinko"

The Yaesu VX-8Gr is a nice little radio with a lot of features. It allows you to start playing with APRS, although you may be a bit limited with what you can do with APRS on a handheld.

If you like that radio, you should definitely get the bigger battery. It makes all the difference in usage time. The mic is fine but not necessary for a lot of use case scenarios. I like having DC chargers. The RT Systems software & cable is probably the best on the market, although there are a few other choices that are a bit less. I have the RT Systems package and it is really good. Personally I would wait on purchasing extra antennas until you know if the stock antenna does what you need it to do.

Satellite is absolutely realistic with these HT's, although it really needs a different antenna. I have a video that is up on how to do it if that's interesting to you.

You might also look at the Yaesu VX-8Dr, which is the upgraded version of the VX-8Gr. It has more bells/whistles, but also carries a bigger price tag.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

For the extra ~$70 for the DR, it seems like it would be worth it at the moment... wide Rx would be nice, and the additional bands couln't hurt.

I am not thinking I'll need/want the GPS immediately, so that actually would be an okay thing.

Thanks for the word on the software - something to look into... I kept my old FT-51R programmed manually, and what a pain that was! :unsure:

As for an antenna, I have an old RH77CA that I could try out too... and then I can always mess around with other things as time goes on.

Choices, choices... ;)

Remember that APRS isn't very functional without a GPS. You can still do it, but it's a hassle. Something to consider...

Hi all! I'm new here and find that I am in a similar type of situation.

I have not been on the air for some time, and was thinking about picking up the VX-8DR myself. I have reading the forum here, and all over the net, and it seems like it will be a good fit with room to expand as my needs do.

I'll probably just start with basic 2m/70cm repeater work to get back into the groove a bit, and make sure I remember the protocols, etc.

The list of accessories the OP listed looks pretty complete... There was another thread here about picking between 2 Yaesu speaker mics for the GR, does the same apply to the DR, or is there only one option?

I would like to try things like working Sats and such (great video giving some insight btw Moleculo! :) ), but that will be a little later.

Another question - from reading, it appears that the 6m is pretty much useless unless there is a repeater nearby since it is not SSB. Is there any use for the 6m AM section of the radio?

I have NO experience or knowledge about 6m at all, and if anything, I think that is the next thing I would want to tackle. Would I be best suited just buying a mobile or base unit with 6m SSB down the road? Most of the rigs also seem to have HF, which would give me a good excuse to upgrade from Tech to General I guess, eh? :)

Thanks for any advice or guidance you can give...

I have been listening to the Ham Nation Podcast, and it amazes me how much there is to know - I would love to evenutally try my hand at all of the ducting, sporadic E and all of that other stuff that I have comepletely forgot (though I probably had to know about it to pass my exam way back when... LOL!) Those guys hitting Hawaii on 2m from California kind of trips me out.

Anyway, this was far too much from me - especially for my first post here...

Thanks,
Bill

Hey Bill,

Bill here! :)

Are you seriously from Salida, CA?

I am between Modesto and Ceres, so I am basically one city up the road from you... small world!

I'll keep an eye out for you on here, and maybe I'll see you at a club meeting at some point?

~Plinko :)

Hey Bill,

Bill here! :)

Are you seriously from Salida, CA?

I am between Modesto and Ceres, so I am basically one city up the road from you... small world!

I'll keep an eye out for you on here, and maybe I'll see you at a club meeting at some point?

~Plinko :)

Yep, I am in Salida... LOL.

When I get my radio bought and get back on the air, keep your ears open for me!

Maybe I'll see you at an SARC meeting at some point? I haven't been before, but may check it out in the next month or so.

Sorry, didn't see the additional questions sooner.

There was another thread here about picking between 2 Yaesu speaker mics for the GR, does the same apply to the DR, or is there only one option?

The major difference is that the GR has the GPS built into the radio chassis, so the external mic doesn't need to accommodate the GPS module like the DR's mic does.

Another question - from reading, it appears that the 6m is pretty much useless unless there is a repeater nearby since it is not <acronym title="sideband">SSB</acronym>. Is there any use for the 6m <acronym title="amplitude modulation">AM</acronym> section of the radio?

There's not really much use for AM in 6m either. The AM is cool if you want to listen into the aircraft band, SWL, or even broadcast AM.

Sorry, didn't see the additional questions sooner.

The major difference is that the GR has the GPS built into the radio chassis, so the external mic doesn't need to accommodate the GPS module like the DR's mic does.

There's not really much use for AM in 6m either. The AM is cool if you want to listen into the aircraft band, SWL, or even broadcast AM.

Thanks for the info -- I was thinking of the thread where the two mics were compared - one cust out the speaker and mic on the radio when plugged in, the other didn't, etc. Makes sense that I would need to get the "recommended" mic for future incorporation of the GPS unit...

We do have a couple of local 6m repeaters, so I can always have fun with those.

This is getting dangerous - I am getting the fever again... at this rate, I am going to end up picking up a 6m SSB rig for some fun too. (I am a Tech, and up to now have never been outside of 2m/70cm bands)

Okay, so I hope this is an okay question that fits within the forum guidelines... Is there a preferred retailer or one that I should definitely not use? There are a couple of pretty big names I am looking at - one has locations in CA, one does not. I don't mind ordering from out of state and saving the sales tax as long as the service is excellent.

Thanks again for the help!

....Okay, so I hope this is an okay question that fits within the forum guidelines... Is there a preferred retailer or one that I should definitely not use? There are a couple of pretty big names I am looking at - one has locations in CA, one does not. I don't mind ordering from out of state and saving the sales tax as long as the service is excellent.....

The sales tax can be an issue, assuming you get the shipping and insurance free. Otherwise they may be close to a wash.

I like HRO's customer service marginally better. AES and I only had a dust-up once, and they usually have pretty good service. It always seems better when you walk in, rather than over the phone.

I always have liked to be able to walk in to the store and play with stuff, see the various manufacturer's models side by side, and ask questions of the salespeople. When I lived near Las Vegas the AES store was my favorite; now I live in SoCal and the Anaheim HRO is my favorite.

Your mileage may vary.

Dave_W6DPS

I think I've used all of the major ham retailers at some point in time. I've never received poor service from any of them. Since you're in CA, don't forget about Ham City. They're prices are often excellent.

Any recommendations for antennas? I have a couple, but am not very happy with them - have switched over to a smiley 5/8 2 meter that works GREAT, but its just 2 meter.

Thanks,

Michael

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.