• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting back into SSB on the 11 meter band

If you like Exports with have FM, talkback, echo, scan, and more power the 2950DX, Optima, Magnum 257, OmegaForce HP are nice. .

the 2950dx, magnum 257, and optima don't have echo, and the 2950dx and 257 don't have talkback either, not sure about the optima but I don't think there's any talkback there either.

Jeez, if I didn't have any bad luck, I won't have any luck at all!!!
Well, ordered my Optima MK3 and it arrived today, now the bad news.
The power cable was defective and when it was hooked up to power there was a POP and then the smoke rolled out!
This is not good..... Well got a hold of Mike and sent him info and he replied to send it back for a refund! That's good service right there! ..... Now the really bad news...... NO more Optimas!
That's was the last one and there will be no more! Sigh!
5.gif

So started to look at the Magnum 257 ,looks almost like the Optima.
Well apparently can't get those anymore either. Couldn't find one anywhere!
I liked the way these two radios can be put in free band modes easy like!
Anyone know where a new Magnum 257 can be had?
Well, now to find something else like these.........

Last edited:
Man sorry to hear this. Have never heard of this issue before. Mind posting a photo of where exactly if possible the power cable was defective at? Might help others from encountering the same issue. I cut my plugs off and installed larger wire and my own inline 15a fuse like what comes with the radio, but larger, so I never used the actual stock wiring harness per say. Like I said, might help others from encountering with the same issue. Thanks for any replies.
And don't let this stop you. Let me ask this, how much total did you end up paying for the radio if you don't mind me asking. Including shipping??
I ask this as you can get an HF radio for about $500 new. And they will surely beat any export made. JMHO. Something like an Alinco SR8T, Icom 718, or even a good used HF radio. All can he had for about 500 new and $3-$400 used. Sometimes less used, depends on where you might get it. I've seen them go for as low as $275-$300 locally on CL for Icom 718's and the Alinco SR8T. Guys that sell them usually get a better HF radio. Not that the 2 I've listed are, they just lack features more expensive radios have. But for the money, you'll get a rock solid SSB radio!! No drift issues!!
Just some food for thought.
Also if you kept the amp I beleive you purchased as well, the TS500 or something. Keep it and use it along with an HF radio with the power turned back. Would work just as well as the optima mk3! Again, JMHO, and sorry to hear about the loss of the radio. But there are always other options. Keep your head up and don't get discouraged yet!!

I swear man, it's a totally different deal if you can find a good used HF radio for a bit more then what you paid for the optima. Shoot even new, the Alicno sr8T at $500, isn't a bad deal for a 100w HF radio!
And you may find that 100w and a good antenna setup is all you need to make all the contacts you want on 11m ssb. I took the plunge and am glad I did. Love my Icom 746!! And my kenwood ts140s is a great little backup radio!! JMHO. Hope you get all resolved and find a radio.

The power cord was defective?? (n):confused: That's a new one on me. First the fuse should have blown......you had one inline right? Second There is no way it should affect the radio since the defect would be BEFORE the radio and, again, should have taken out the fuse. Sounds more like it was hooked up with reverse polarity.

The KL203 is very much a low low drive and a 2950DX is a pretty strong radio. A nice class AB amplifier would probably be a better choice, Texas Star 250/350.

We do not use AM, FM is the regular in Europe. For SSB the amp has served well for many years with 20w peak power in giving 100-120 w peak out. For DX SSB work the conversation don't last that long. A "talker" on the superbowl would probably not have this combination with AM and see the 203 last very long. Throw in a powermike and no control over the peak amplitudes and your surely blow it to pieces. I like good audio in SSB so I'm not in the powermike division ;-)

any pics of this "defective power cord"?,, the optima power cord can only plug in one way and has a fuse inline,,

Is Yeticom done selling the optima's ? or just out of stock for now

Last edited:
Reactions: 222DBFL
I gotta agree with Capt. Kilowatt on this one. Hooked up backwards and may have also had the fuse cut out of line. Like Camaro 1 stated the plug can only fit one way I am pretty darn sure. If not, always, always double check wiring before you add power!!! As to the cord being defective I guess the only thing that could have happened is that something shorted just beyond exiting the radio to the first adapter. But I am leanings towards what CK already stated above. If it's truly was a defect, it's the first one I've ever heard of with this radio and the stock wiring. Just saying!! A lot of time and effort!! And if that was the last one made, I damn sure ain't selling the one I have now!! Might have if they are just "out of stock", but if they are truly being "discontinued", then all bets are off and the radio is a keeper! Great radio that just was so simple yet effective at what it was made to do!! And the RX is awesome for an export!! Good luck with your next radio and hopefully no more faulty wires.;):whistle::D

Yep, there is only one way to plug in the power cord..... didn't think much about it.
Plug it in and hook it up to power didn't even turn it on ... then the pop and then smoke.
After looking into it further this what I found!
0219161751.jpg
Knowing there is only one way to plug this in I didn't think of checking this....

Attachments

• 0219161751.jpg
    0219161751.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: camaro1 and 222DBFL
man that sucks!!

if they are not going to be getting more optima's in ,, id be looking to the other vendors that carry them on ebay,, just so you can get one if they really are not going to be made any longer,, glad I got a couple of them here, they are the last of the export radio's that I have,, they made the cut above and beyond all the other exports that I have given a try over the last couple years

Last edited:
The power cord was defective?? (n):confused: That's a new one on me. First the fuse should have blown......you had one inline right? Second There is no way it should affect the radio since the defect would be BEFORE the radio and, again, should have taken out the fuse. Sounds more like it was hooked up with reverse polarity.

in reply
the one way plug is between the fuse and radio (fuse is in main lead)
as kevin showed the power lead was defective as it had been wired incorrect at factory

however in kevins haste in setting up a lot of problems would of been solved if he checked the colors on the lead..however it is a factory fault and i will fix the situation with him it is a shame this has happened to his radio but Murphy's law always prevails

to all other questions
as for whats happening the discussion is between myself and kevin and he will be fairly compensated for the mishap it is not open for discussion in the forum as it is our private business our emails are private
i dont discuss the contents of emails in public.

yes i have stopped selling the optima ..time to move on its been a long run but the future awaits
as for our plans ..sit back and watch

the ones that know me know i am rather private in my plans and there have been many on the table for a few years both in design and ideas ..
not every idea gets to the production line ...what comes will come

there will be no mk4 (yeah already had emails about that..)

this is all i will discuss on the matter
mike

well i guess all good thing must come to an end someday,, there are a lot of optima's out there and there is a good reason you don't see them for sale "used" too often!! a great radio!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.