• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Getting started...scanners or not?

Sep 4, 2012
Alright so I am brand new to HAM and started wondering if anyone out there uses multiple scanners/wide band recievers in their shack to monitor emergency services, business band, military, air comms, etc, how many scanners do you have? How do you have them setup? Do just have them in your shack or do you have a couple mobile/handheld scanners as well?

I have a base/mobile scanner, portable scanner, Yaesu FT1802. Almost everything around here is VHF (or MPSCS 800 mhz). I was possibly looking forward to using the scan feature on my Yaesu to replace most of my scanning but now I don't think so. Most scanners have lots of memory banks that can easily be turned on/off, many have more text available than the 6 characters my Y has, I think the Y only scans about 10 channels/second, even on CTCSS I am getting squelch tails. The Y is VERY quiet and receives great! If there are a couple of stations you want to hear very well then the Y is the way to go.

A lot of people use dedicated scanners and a lot of people just use a regular VHF/UHF radio to scan. If you want to monitor trunked or digital stations, you will need a scanner as no amateur VHF/UHF radio that I know of can do those types of systems.

In some states having a scanner in your car is concidered an instrument of crime......I would think if you had a ham radio that can scan out of band you could skirt around that...

be sure to check your local/state laws concerning this since every state is different

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.