• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

gmrs

probably depends on your area. We have at least one repeater around. The activity is quite spotty. I go for days with nothing.

I think you can use 50W in a mobile and 15W on a base, something like that, but don't quote me.

Last edited:
My wife and I used gmrs for a few years in central Texas and it worked great for us. One good thing about it was that the 1/4 wave mag mounts we used on the mobiles where 6 inch tall, very cool! We got a range of about 5 to 10 miles mobile to mobile and 10 to 20 miles base to mobile.

GMRS can work rather well

just depends on how much power you have (i believe you are allowed up to 50 watts)
whether mobil to mobil or mobil to base or base to base

i get 8 to 10 miles with portable to base
(but using a high gain antenna and not those garbage rubber ducks that come with the radio)

I can not comment directly on how using a Icom 221 is
However when i use a HT i use the Icom T-90A
(if memory serves is the same power as the 221 but simply with far more frequency's on hand)

using the Icom T90A seems to work very well on GMRS

now for range base to base
i have gotten 45 to 50 miles
but then our repeater hear has got an antenna fairly high (50 ft or so) and has no other buildings or structures in its way

i have not used GMRS for the last few months
so perhaps is time to start using it again

hope it helped

Licensed users can run 50 watts, base or mobile on the GMRS only channels. You can run 5 watts on the channels that are shared with FRS.

Does GMRS interfere with the neighbors at 50 watts?

Is 85 dollars worth it to talk on that service?

I remember FRS when it came out in the 90's, Once I talk to a lady dispatcher from the local emergency department by accident. I used it as a scanner from then on. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.