• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Going to buy a new radio in 2 weeks. Opinions wanted

King Mudduck

FEAR THE DUCK!
May 6, 2005
285 South Western Virgina waving!
I'm going to buy a new mobile radio in 2 weeks or so and i want to know what some of you would buy and why. I have $400.00 to spend so i need to stay in that price range. I'm switching companies, no longer doing the dump truck thing and they are kinda picky about amps and things connected to the battery. So i'm going to have to stay away from radios like a 95T or 2970 so i'm thinking of a Connex 4300 hp right now but i am open to suggestions.

I just want a radio with strong but clear modulation and a receive that does not have a lot of noise ( like the Stryker ) and enough power so that i can talk to my wife on the base at home. I will be driving local in a 25 mile or so radius of the house.

Since they are funny what you hook to the battery get a Connex 3300 HP. Without an amp these radios are terrific and that goes for it's partner in crime, the general Lee.

I love my Lee. I was talking to a buddy about 25 miles away late last night mobile to mobile. He was in a larger city for our area and he had no problems hearing me with my amp turned off. Have it set at 5 watts DK for my Magna and it swings to about 42 watts. I would set the DK for 8 or so watts if running barefoot. Very clear and oh so loud. Peace!

Hell...I would still go with the Galaxy 95t2, or the Connex 4600 Turbo....Although these radios do have built-N amps, they dont pull enough amps from the battery to be a problem.

Or maybe the Galaxy 93t. (only has one 2290 final, where the 95t2 and 4600 has two)

But, if your just wanting to go with a non-amp radio. Then the General Lee gets my vote...

The 2950 DX is a great radio, it's not very truck driver friendly though and no echo. If you have to run off the dash power posts a 95T or 4600 will push that to the max. If you don't need SSB but want alittle more juice I would look at the Connex 4300 or the Magnum S680.

Magnum M-1 all the way. Super loud after tune and clean audio. I have no problem talking to base stations 25+ miles away, and that's without an amp. I'm very happy with it.

May I ask, do you ever plan to use any channels outside of 11 meter? If not, may I suggest a Uniden 68 or 78 with a good tune and a small 1 or 2 pill amp. I can assure you the RX in either one will be quieter with much better adjacent channel rejection. I have owned a 2970, magnum S3, 6, 980,Delta Force, Connex 3300HP, 4800DXL, 4300, Galaxy 48T, 33, 44, 73, 99. And probably half a dozen more I have forgot about, and they all had 1 thing in common...the RX sucks. I can tell you the AGC in a Cobra or Uniden is nearly bullet proof, I have had people key very near to me pushing kilowatt+ with no damage, had I been running an export the front end of the RX would be toast. Just my opinion, but I have tried a ton of exports, and I would go with a small amp/Uniden combo over them all. (for 11 meter)

If your want a loud radio in the big truck, get a cobra 148 and hop it up with the extra money you will be saveing, if you are going to talk ssb along am i would get a 2970DX without a question, fine radio and i really enjoyed all the ones i had.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.