• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GOLDEN FALCON TUBEMOBILE(2/6LF6 DRIVING 4/6LF6)

GATORADE

Apr 28, 2006
JACKSON,MISSISSIPPI
HELLO. I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS CONCERNING A GOLDEN FALCON 6 TUBE MOBILE:1 HOW MANY AND WHAT AMPERAGE ALTERNATORS AND BATTERIES IS NEEDED TO RUN THIS IN MY 67 C/10 PICKUP? 2 WHO MADE THIS AMP AND WHERE I CAN FIND THE OPERATION MANUAL {IF PPOSSIBLE} 3 WHAT RADIO DRIVE IS REQUIRED? I WILL BE USING A GALAXY 77HML OR IS THERE A BETTER RADIO. ANY SUGGESTIONS 8)

The Golden Falcons were make by gentleman named Andy Anderson.
They were a kick butt amp back in their day! Like all sweep tube boxs, they like a low dead key, approx 2 watts with good foward swing and lots of audio.
I am going from memory here, but i seem to remember mine drew about 100 + amps on transmit.
I used to run a big Dodge alt and 2 batteries in the pick up. It worked fine as long as i was making some RPM's!
I have never seen much in the way of manuals for any of Andy's boxes. They just worked real well!

GATORADE said:
HELLO. I HAVE SEVERAL QUESTIONS CONCERNING A GOLDEN FALCON 6 TUBE MOBILE:1 HOW MANY AND WHAT AMPERAGE ALTERNATORS AND BATTERIES IS NEEDED TO RUN THIS IN MY 67 C/10 PICKUP? 2 WHO MADE THIS AMP AND WHERE I CAN FIND THE OPERATION MANUAL {IF PPOSSIBLE} 3 WHAT RADIO DRIVE IS REQUIRED? I WILL BE USING A GALAXY 77HML OR IS THERE A BETTER RADIO. ANY SUGGESTIONS 8)

Do you have a transistor switching Hi-voltage supply or what?

GOLDEN FALCON400

NO. I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT I NEED TO BUY TO RUN AMP SUCESSFULLY. YOU KNOW,INVEST IN THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT THE FIRST TIME AROUND. IS THE TRANSISTOR HV PWR SUPPLY IS WHAT'S NEEDED,IF SO WHERE CAN FIND ONE AND WHAT'S THE COST? I HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANYTHING YET.THANKS 4 D HELP MEN 8)

Farm Boy said:
A Golden Falcon 400 mobile amp (2 driving 4) has the HV switching transistors located on the bottom of the amplifier case.

There are probably four 2n4048 switching transistors in the power supply; during transmit, at any time 2 of the 4 transistors will be shut off. These transistors can draw as much as 60 amps current so, the amp will demand as much as 120 amps (depending upon how hard you run it and how much you are trying to get out of it).

IMHO, save the "YO-YO" watts for the transistor amplifiers; the vacuum tube circuits were engineered long before the '2290 and '2879. I would recommend that you put 4 to 10 watts DK drive into the amp; tune it on a good peak-reading meter.

Also, run a line back from the plus power terminal of the amp so you can keep an eye on your +12 volt batteries and charging system. If you are sucking it out quicker than you are putting it in you need more reserve and a bigger alternator.

I agree

Definitely not much out there as far as info on these amps; I have a Golden Falcon tube base amp here, the GF200, and I have been trying to find a schematic for over a year...something wrong with one of the relays, but when it was working, it did well.

The Falcons where built by Andy, as previously stated, and they are very similiar to the Loudmouth designs (do research and figure out why :) ).

Your amp will pull over 100 amps on a peak. I ran a Pal 350 MDX which was a 1 driving 3 8950 amp, and it would pull >100 amps regularly.

I wouldn't drive it with more than about 3 to 4 watts of carrier, and your tubes should last a good long time.

Power supply wise? A single 165 amp leece neville would be able to power that amp, as well as anything else you had hooked to it.

However, you might be just as well off selling that amp, not purchasing the monster electric system to power it with, and purchasing a solid state amp. Solid state amps don't have the inefficient switching power supply that costs you amperage just to run.

However, that ZZZZZZXZZZZZZZ sound in the background is unmistakable. 15 yrs ago that WAS the sound of a mobile big-strapper!

--Toll_Free

Reactions: John Spahn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.