• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

good 2m antenna

I'll cover all my bases:

Handheld, factory or Diamond 5/8 telescoping. Sorry Larsen, but for the price, you don't get much performance gain.

Mobile, I like my MFJ-1728B. 5/8 wave, on 45w I can get out a solid 35 miles through the hills, probably about 10-15 miles via simplex.

Base, I use a Diamond F23. Zero complaints. A lot of people have success with homemade copper j-pole antennas too! Your feedline is probably the most important part of your system with a base antenna.

Good luck. :D

as far as a home base antenna for 2 meters you can look into Comet antennas I have used the dual band 2 meter / 70 centimeter Comet GP-3 for a few years now simple and reliable.

i will only cover a mobile application here and recommend the diamond nr22l. great antenna if you don't mind the height. i bought mine second hand on ebay so i have no idea where you might find one.

Mobile?
As far as brute signal, I have used the Hustler CG-144 Phased 5/8 wave over 1/4 wave antenna with very good results.
The Antenna Alone can be had at many places for around $35 bucks, and the base is 3/8-24 thread....fits any Cb whip mount. It is just a tad long for a 2 meter antenna at 7' 1" overall length....but a really cool thing about it is it will also work on Ten meters!
It is about the highest gain 2 meter antenna you can get for under $50 Bucks.

Jeff

I think we still need to know what he's trying to accomplish. All of these high gain mobile antennas that put out a great signal far out on the horizon aren't going to mean squat if his repeaters are 3000 feet above him. Ask Happy_Hamer about his experience using these antennas in downtown Chicago with the repeater antennas on the Sears Tower...

using it as a base

sorry for all the confusion guys. it will be used in my upstairs bedroom as a base. what is a good base antenna for 2m?

If you are really on a budget, it is very easy to build a 1/4 wave ground plane out of some wire ( a couple of coat hanger`s will work ) and a SO230 connector.
Have a look here:
BUILD A GROUND PLANE ANTENNA FOR 2 METERS AND MORE - SIMPLE AND EASY!

There are also several small base antennas that will work depends on how far you need to reach and what you are willing to spend.
Also, the mobile antenna that I posted about above (CG-144) can be used as a base antenna with the Hustler Model MKR-2 Radial Kit ( or you can build your own )......Just for fun you can built a 2 meter Quad out of wooden dowels, 12 gauge wire and a 2x4 they work great!
A Search on the web with "how to build a 2 meter Quad" should get you what you need to know to start. If you are going to be on the top floor of the house, that is even better, you are already up in the air.
I would start with the simple ground plane just for fun and see how it works, and build up from there....Enjoy!

Jeff

the arrow GPs are real nice but I'm not sure he is still building them since his wife had a heart attack......

I'm currently running a Diamond X50 and am really pleased with that one

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.