• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good day, New guy here.

Ryan09

May 8, 2010
Richmond, British Columbia, Canada
Good day,

First off, I hope I am posting this in the correct section.
If not. I am sorry!
Please move it to the appropriate section.

Hi, my name is Ryan, I live in Beautiful British Columbia Canada and I am new here.
My wife Jen and I are into four wheel driving into the back country, backpacking, and recently just got into Ocean kayaking.
I know very little about amateur radio but have been lurking here and reading about equipment and have some questions I'd like to ask if you folks don't mind!

We would like to get ourselves a ham radio setup for emergency purposes as well as being able to monitor logging trucks and communicating with our fellow 4X4 friends when the CB radio is out of range.
We are looking for a handheld marine radio for when we are kayaking.
A hand held and vehicle mounted VHF/UHF radio for back country use.

The radios we are looking at are the Standard Horizon HX751 handheld marine radio.
a Wouxun UV6X Dual band or Yaesu VX-3R handheld.
A vehicle mounted radio. Something like the Yaesu FT-7900R or FT857D.
Or an Alinco DR-635T/E

Why these you may ask?
Friends have them in their 4X4's so they are really the only ones I have ever seen in the flesh!
I'd like the best equipment I can get as I want them to last the rest of my life!

Your folks opinions and recommendations would be appreciated.

My wife also has a question

Is a VHF/UHF radio able to receive and transmit to a VHF marine radio?

Thanks
Ry'

Reactions: 1 person

Hey Ryan..

Welcome to the site..
Seems you came to the right spot..

Many people with lots of good information covering cb/ham and most forms of 2 way communications..

So..
I am Not familiar with ( have not used ) the Wouxun UV6X,Standard Horizon HX751 & Although i have Not used the,Yaesu VX-3R, & the FT-7900R or FT857D and have not used the Alinco DR-635T/E ..

I can say... i know people who use various Wouxun HT's and seems that they all agree they work rather well and (even though they are chinese HT's Priced a bit below the various other established companies) but you do need to be careful in the antennas you get if you want to use various higher gain antennas then comes with the HT ( where the "major" companies pretty much use a standard or similar connection for the external antenna )..

I have never been a Great fan of the Yaesu HT's simply due to how their better models are a bit involved in how to navigate their menu's (although their this is not so except on the top models )..

I find ( in my own use ) that Icom have Great HT's as does Kenwood ( Not to worry Yaesu is good..just not my choice )..

However... In Part...it needs to be Known...
What frequency's do you plan on using..
If it is Typical 2 meters and or 70 cm band then no biggie and either Icom or Kenwood will do good...(even Alinco )
However if you also want to use the 220 band (222-225 mhz) then perhaps Kenwood will be more apropiate ( given they offer the THF6a that uses it with a full 5 watts )..

Personally....
I use the Icom T90a
(discontinued...Although analog only,but still outperforms my newer ans supposedly better and more expensive other HT's,but only possible issue is even with a full charge it is only so so on battery life..so like me you may need extra batteries...Icom now has a Newer IC T70 as their current entry line HT )

I also have the Icom ID 91AD
(is analog & Dstar digital modes,also an excellent HT but only advisable if you also want to get into using DStar..Many do & many don't..that is up to you of course..but only possible issue is even with a full charge it is only so so on battery life..so like me you may need extra batteries & thankfully my T90a & 91AD use the same batteries)

I also use the Kenwood TH-F6a .. 2 of them
(although this is analog also..This though has fully usable and excellent 220 band & not just 2 meters/70cm bands..it also allows you to listen in on SSB...It should also be said it has Excellent battery life on a full charge )

Most of the time i take my T90a with me (with a high gain antenna and an external mike) and even after several years still get excellent reports on how it sounds...i even hit repeaters 35-50 miles away with it on street level(not exactly easy given all the huge buildings and stray RF all over the place in NY/NJ metro area.

Regarding your wife's question..
Nearly all ham radios..whether is an HT,Mobile or base..You can typically mod it to enable it to transmit roughly 138-170 mhz and 380-480 mhz..
So typically once modded you can use for 2 meters..70cm...MURS ..Marine...FRS/GMRS..

However...I do believe you are Required to have a marine licence to use those frequency's ( if you don't you likely can get easily and quickly..i do not know how much it costs but it is not much )

Ofcourse to Legally use the ham bands you will require a entry level license to use VHF & higher (with very limited 10 meter usage )
So i guess you recently have gotten or are in process of getting your ham ticket..

Any questions...Just ask...Many here likely have the answers

ahh and as far as the mobiles go...

I use Icom ID800
(2 meters and 70 cm both analog and DStar digital)
An Excellent mobile although now discontinued and replaced by the ID 880 ( both a bit pricey )

I also use the Alinco DR-235TMKII
( an Excellent analog 220 radio )

Since though you said you may also want for CB and still have beyond CB range ( in a mobile )

I use the Icom 706 MKIIG
( Although discontinued an excellent HF with 2 meters and 70cm bands as well as modifiable for MURS/Marine/FRS & GMRS)

I also use Icom IC-7000
(basically a better version of the 706 MKIIG but a bit smaller and with very good filtering & often referred to as a baby Pro Icom radio..this uses both Analog and Dstar Digital and is a bit pricey )

Ry, welcome

VHF marine radio doesn't require a license if you are a recreational boater.
You may only transmit from a vessel in the water.
USCG requires all vessels with VHF radios to monitor Ch 16.

If you are a boater you probably know this anyway.

"Who Needs a Ship Station License
You do not need a license to operate a marine VHF radio, radar, or EPIRBs aboard voluntary ships operating domestically. The term "voluntary ships" refers to ships that are not required by law to carry a radio. Generally, this term applies to recreation or pleasure craft."

(Sorry, this may not even be the answer to your question:redface:)

Anyway, hi!

Hi Ryan,
welcome to the forum. I live in Kelowna and BC is a great place to live. This site is a great place to get your questions answered before you set out purchasing equipment.

A few things that you should know. First off, whether it's CB or ham radio when using with your 4 x 4 buddies you have to remember that the signal travels line of sight. So if you are on one side of the hill and your buddy is on the other you will not hear each other no matter what radio type you have. The way around this is to have access to repeaters that are positioned high on the mountain tops. In British Columbia we are quite fortunate to have many such repeaters (depending on where you are of course).

As King cobra has stated there are many HT's and mobiles that you could purchase. All have their positives and negatives. I have a Yaesu FTM-350 mobile, a Yaesu VX-8DR HT and a Icom 746Pro Base station. All of which I am very pleased with (though you may want something different). It all comes down to cost and personal preferences.

To operate on the ham bands in Canada, you must be licensed to do so. There are many Amateur Radio Clubs in your area that can help you with getting licensed. They can advise you on a course in your area. Typically they are a couple of weekends full days of instruction and a test. Here is a great site that has all the information that you need to get licensed in Canada. Radio Amateurs of Canada - FAQ's.

Regarding your wife's question..
Nearly all ham radios..whether is an HT,Mobile or base..You can typically mod it to enable it to transmit roughly 138-170 MHz and 380-480 mhz..
So typically once modded you can use for 2 meters..70cm...MURS ..Marine...FRS/GMRS..

The above is true but you must remember that the radio after it has been modded is still not certified to transmit on the out of band frequencies. You must hold the proper licenses. There could be legal implications to transmitting (i.e. transmit on your local police channel, that would be really bad).

As for VHF Marine radio, ONAWHIM is mistaken (Sorry about that :)). In Canada you are required by law to have a Marine VHF licence. It is referred to as a Restricted Operators Certificate - Maritime (ROC-M). Industry Canada has delegated the ROC-M to the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons (CPS) and courses are available in many areas. Further information can be found on the CPS website. Here is the Maritime Radio link. CPS Maritime Radio.

I hope this information helps you out. If you have any questions about marine radio or ham radio here in BC you can PM me if you like. I am also a board member of CPS Kelowna Squadron.

Cheers (y)

Most, not all, VHF/UHF radios will be able to listen to marine VHF

See below

Well for back country and what have you I would look at the

Yaesu VX7 Yaesu VX-7R VX-7RB Amateur HT VX7R

or

VX8GR Yaesu VX8GR, Yaesu VX-8GR Amateur HT

The VX8GR also has an included GPS module that can be useful for you and is currently 20 dollars cheaper than the VX7 (Marketing, gotta love it)

Both are waterproof. The VX7 gives you 6 meter but you lose GPS and I would rather have the GPS instead of 6 meter

There is also the VX8DR, has more bells and whistles but is about $100 more. but adds 6 meter and the GPS is an option and you can listen and talk on more frequencies, that is why it cost more.

Yaesu VX-8R, Yaesu VX-8DR Amateur HT VX8R

I do not know the legalities in Canada but I know a certain administrator on this forum that will chime in soon.

The cool thing about both those radios, you can hear VHF/UHF with either one.

So yeah you can hear ham, police, fire, marine, aircraft, frs, gmrs and with a simple mod you can even talk on some of those. Thats the legal part I am unsure of. ;)

For the vehicle, go with the Yaesu FT-857D

I can even provide more options with a Kenwood D72A, Kenwood TM-D710A and a Kenwood TS-2000, but you better have $3000 for that setup ^^ ab v c^^

As for VHF Marine radio, ONAWHIM is mistaken (Sorry about that :)). In Canada you are required by law to have a Marine VHF licence. It is referred to as a Restricted Operators Certificate - Maritime (ROC-M).

Ry,
I am a knucklehead for assuming the discussion was related to the US.
Whoops.. :oops:

Depark thanks for setting me straight.

Wm.

For an all-in-one rig for your 4x4 vehicle, check out the Icom IC-7000. I prefer that over the Yaesu FT-857D while mobile. The 857 screen is small and hard to see and the menuing is a bit tricky for use while mobile.

I've used the Wouxun's and they are great radios for the price. The manuals aren't as good and the menu's are a little weird, but the price and functionality is tough to beat!

I do not know the legalities in Canada but I know a certain administrator on this forum that will chime in soon.

I wonder who you could be thinking of. :whistle:

Well it looks like Depark has covered things rather well actually. As for getting the proper license to operate radio gear beit ham or marine, the procedures are really quite simple. A marine radio license is REALLY easy while a ham ticket requires a bit of study but even it is quite simple to obtain now as compared to a couple decades ago. It is well worth the time/effort to get a ham ticket if you even entertain the thought of picking up any type of ham radio to use.

As has already been said, ham radios of all bands, HF or VHF or UHF, can indeed be modified to operate on CB and other bands if it is an HF radio and the VHF/UHF radios can be made to operate on the marine and FRS bands as well as monitor law enforcement etc.It is strictly against the law to use one however to transmit on those frequencies including the marine, band even if you have a marine license, because ham radios are not certified for use on those frequencies. That is the legal end of things. Now for the practical point. As long as you conduct yourself properly on the air and do not go blabbing about using a ham rig on those frequencies no one will give a damn about what radio you are using.

BTW welcome to the forum Ryan. FWIW I have some relatives out that way in Quesnel and a cousin in Vancouver. Cousin Wayne drives one of those logging trucks you may end up monitoring one of these days. (y)

Thanks for the welcome and the reply folks.
I've been busy reading all sorts of topics here and will only ask questions if I cannot find answers using the search function as I am sure most questions have been asked and answered umpteen times before!

Cheers
Ry'

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.