• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"GOOD" interface to use for digital

Doug,
Depends a lot on what you will be using it with, computer, programs, and radio. Some manufacturers make things a bit easier with specific brands, not difficult, but not exactly easy with others (that's mostly with the software and computer, sort of).
I have had one of the older 'RigBlasters' since it wasn't old at all. It works fine. Because of the trend away from Serial port to USB port control, I've had to up-date a driver or two, but all things considered, not a biggy. The biggest 'problem' with the 'RigBlaster' stuff is that it's not cheap. The only 'firm' suggestion is to stay away from the "no-mic" versions no matter who makes them, just really aggravating.
If you don't mind building, an SSTV interface isn't that difficult to make, usually works with other digital programs, and will keep you occupied getting the 'bugs' out of it (also normal).
I've been 'away' from SSTV for a couple of years so can't say I'm familiar with all that's available now. 'Timewave' used to make some very good DSP stuff, didn't know they were into interfaces, might be a worthwhile thingy to think about. I've heard a lot about 'Tiger', but not directly related to SSTV. I'm trying to get used to sound card based TNCs and interfaces (lap tops) so my knowledge is 'dated' for the other kind of thingys. Good luck! (You do know that SSTV stuff is addictive, right?)
- 'Doc

PS - Been tempted to jump off that 'mountain' you got down there a few times. One thing and another, never have (that's called chicken, by the way) :). If you should happen to be extremely bored some second Thursday of the month, come on up and take in one of our club meetings (W5CUQ.com), find out all the things you should (and shouldn't) do/know. The 'trick' is figuring out which is which...

I have a RigExpert Standard to interface with my Icom 706mkiig and also Yaesu 897d (you have to buy or make different cables for those two rigs). It has a USB interface and also gives you an extra serial port on the interface in case you have something old like a TNC you also need to use. It works well, although I can honestly say that I've had to tinker around with settings quite a bit in MixW to get it to work consistently. This has to do more with the sound driver it installs than anything else. It does seem to be a pretty good, small form factor device.

I also built one myself for my Icom 746Pro. I use this several times a week on a few different digital modes. It's really easy to build a sound card interface to the line in/out on your soundcard and only costs a few dollars. For the rig control, I purchased a $20 CAT cable for the rig. I think the whole interface cost me $30, including the CAT cable. The only reason I didn't just go this route with the other radios is because I have a specific use case for the 706 that wouldn't let me do this and since I had already purchased the RigExpert to satisfy that use, I decided it was just easier to buy the additional cable to make it work with the Yaesu.

I have a home brew, a Digimaster Dual and a Tigertronics Signalink USB.

The Tigertronics is the best.

Has its own soundcard so you can move it from computer to computer which is very convenient.

Does its own keying through an electronic VOX circuit so making cables for a few rigs is very simple to do.

Requires no power to run, runs off the USB.

There is a waiting list so order soon ;-). It's worth the wait.

ive been using the rig blaster plus for about 3 years, it does a great job, easy to setup and use ...........another plus is that it is easy to re-set the jumpers inside for almost any radio from a simple cb to an old valver

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.