• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good News !

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
From the ARRL Newsletter-

The ARRL Volunteer Examiner Coordinator (ARRL VEC) reports that business has
been very brisk since the FCC announced the new rules dropping the Morse
requirement for any Amateur Radio license.

"We're avalanched," said Assistant ARRL VEC Manager Perry Green, WY1O.
"Sessions are going onto the schedule fast and furious. They're all waiting
for that magic date of February 23." ARRL VEC has hired extra personnel to
deal with the anticipated post-February 23 application onslaught.

ARRL VEC Manager Maria Somma, AB1FM, says the VEC typically schedules some
5500 exam sessions a year. By the end of January, some 3500 were already on
this year's calendar with more pouring in every day. Sales of ARRL Amateur
Radio licensing materials also are up dramatically.

Great info Ron.Sounds like this is gonna give the amateur
world the "kick in the pants" it so badly needs! I know here in my neck of the woods there are many,and I mean many,people
newly interested in ham radio and many more who are going for the upgrade from their current license status.Should be very
interesting in the coming years for sure :D
I know I'm sure looking forward to it.
Slim

I'm just gonna hook up a PC code utility to my rig and browse the CW tech portions of HF for a while. I don't do well in crowds.

Is there a website you can go to for study to pass the ham exams?
I took the Cleveland Institute of electronics course many years ago. I never got my liscense because I couldn't master the code. I need some refreshing before I test.

i haven't desided if i want to test for extra, or just pay the fee and hand them my CSE for general that expires 7apr.07 and be happy with the general. Either way i'll need another mobile rig, time to retire the 2510...hhhmmmmm. i see an ic7000 in my future. 73 i'm sure i'll hear ya on the bands.

I can't wait to all the 11 meter operators get talking. these old hams with there holy attitude are going to be crying.

funbiz99 said:
I can't wait to all the 11 meter operators get talking. these old hams with there holy attitude are going to be crying.

*WE* are all ready pissed........

But, it's gonna be funny as hell when the whole Amateur radio paradigm does a flip-flop, "Hi-Hi"!

I can't wait 'till I can speak as I normally do on the radio without somebody with a stick stuck up his azz fainting or foaming at the mouth, Roger 4?

I am not really looking forward to a lot of the SOP's from CB being carried over to the Amateur band.

rfoverlord said:
i haven't desided if i want to test for extra, or just pay the fee and hand them my CSE for general that expires 7apr.07 and be happy with the general. Either way i'll need another mobile rig, time to retire the 2510...hhhmmmmm. i see an ic7000 in my future. 73 i'm sure i'll hear ya on the bands.

I was thinking about the same thing. I was planning on going for the Extra but I decided that it would be better to just spend time working and enjoying and learning what I can with my new General privileges .

re: influx of cb'ers in the ham band

I'm going to side with the Amateurs on this one: leave the cb jargon and such on 11m. The only reason many people deal with the lack of intelligence (call a spade a spade) on the cb band is because, up until now, there's not been an alternative--unless you wanted to learn code. Now that there *is* an alternative, it really is hoped that the cream rises to the top and moves into the Ham bands...not the worst of the worst. By simply moving all the cb stupidity into the ham bands, all you would be accomplishing is proving the established Amateurs that were against dropping the code correct.

The bottom line is that if you want to act like a oxygen thief, please do those of us that *aren't* oxygen thieves a favor, and stay in the cb band. don't be the minority that screws it up for the majority.

Re: re: influx of cb'ers in the ham band

229 said:
I'm going to side with the Amateurs on this one: leave the cb jargon and such on 11m. The only reason many people deal with the lack of intelligence (call a spade a spade) on the cb band is because, up until now, there's not been an alternative--unless you wanted to learn code. Now that there *is* an alternative, it really is hoped that the cream rises to the top and moves into the Ham bands...not the worst of the worst. By simply moving all the cb stupidity into the ham bands, all you would be accomplishing is proving the established Amateurs that were against dropping the code correct.

The bottom line is that if you want to act like a oxygen thief, please do those of us that *aren't* oxygen thieves a favor, and stay in the cb band. don't be the minority that screws it up for the majority.

sorrry to say the reason ham radio is dying is not the code!!!!!!!!!!! I know lots of hams who got their ticket just to be treated like crap.........and sell alltheir equipment...Now that its easy to get your voice privilages....the newbies will have lots of people who wii talk with them.

i live in a large city and the repeaters are dead because everyone is uncomfortable using them.

ps what is a oxygen thief? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.