• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good News !

:shock: not really, the repeaters here have a hierarcy for the cb crowd(ignorant f&*ks) they have one that they hang out on.
then their is the inbetween crowd ham(freebanders) that hang on one then there is the straight ham crowd(holier than thou arseholes). since i'm not from this area i don't use any of them but i do use some of the ajoining systems which seem to have a nice balance of everything on them. I don't think we will see a large influx in my area. i hope there are since there are very few people on 2mtr & 70cm SSB. :D 73 good luck to everyone testing

re: exam questions...

i've not seen anything on the couple forums that i frequent that have officially changed any questions in the question pool.
that being said, there are questions in the pool that are, due to the latest R&O, obsolete. my *guess* is that those questions will simply be dropped from the pool. whether they will be replaced, in a one-for-one swap, with other questions or simply be updated to reflect the new latest R&O, i have no idea.

the pools i've been looking at are the 2006 pool for Technician, and the 2004 pool for General, via http://www.qrz.com/testing.html

The questions have been ~modified~ to reflect the change in rules. The question pools will be updated, naturally. As far as the answers are concerned, just use common sense. The same old 'rules' for answers apply, one or two answers really sort of far out, one not quite as far, and one that's sort of 'close', then one right answer. Answers are 'straight forward', don't try to add any 'second guessing', that sort of thing. Shouldn't be any problems.
- 'Doc

Re: re: influx of cb'ers in the ham band

229 said:
I'm going to side with the Amateurs on this one: leave the cb jargon and such on 11m. The only reason many people deal with the lack of intelligence (call a spade a spade) on the cb band is because, up until now, there's not been an alternative--unless you wanted to learn code. Now that there *is* an alternative, it really is hoped that the cream rises to the top and moves into the Ham bands...not the worst of the worst. By simply moving all the cb stupidity into the ham bands, all you would be accomplishing is proving the established Amateurs that were against dropping the code correct.

The bottom line is that if you want to act like a oxygen thief, please do those of us that *aren't* oxygen thieves a favor, and stay in the cb band. don't be the minority that screws it up for the majority.

There is just as much stupid jargon on the amateur bands as there is on cb, HI HI comes to mind right off. Anyhow I have found something that works for me regardless where I am talking, I talk to the people I know like friends and the ones I don't know like I want them to be friends. If we talk like we were standing in front of each other and leave the silly junk off things work much better.

re: Jargon, etc.

I was mainly referring to the argument that was sometimes used to keep the code as a requirement: namely, that keeping the code as a requirement would "keep the riff-raff off the ham bands." sure, there's commonly accepted jargon in both the ham bands, as well as the 11m cb segment. the difference is the juvenile nature of a great deal of the jargon in the cb segment. i'm not saying this is not present in the ham bands at all. what i am saying is that it's *prevalent* in the cb band, and it grates on people's nerves--even other cb ops. this is what has been cited by hams over and over as the type of thing they specifically do *not* want to migrate into the amateur service.
i supported that sentiment with my post.

i'll give an example:

if a ham is told his transmitter sounds like it's overmodulating, generally that ham will respond positively, and check his equipment.
if a cb operator is told his transmitter sounds like it's overmodulating, often--far too often for my tastes--that cb operator will tell you to zark-off--if you don't like it, turn *your* radio off.

I'm not saying *all* cb operators are like this. what i *am* saying is that 11m is often seen as the ultimate in "might makes right" mentality...so long as it's got "lots of swing," it doesn't matter how much bandwidth it takes up, whether it sounds overmodulated and distorted, if one identifies one's station, whether one causes harmful interference, the use of insipid "noise toys," ....the list goes on and on and on.

there are cb ops that have utilized the cb segment as a "hobby" segment--although this was not the intention of the creation of the CB "service." these people operate their cb stations more or less as amateurs operate *their* stations...i say more or less because many of these cb ops might break the rule about power output a bit, as well as communicating DX with CB...but anyone with any sense realizes that anything more than about 1kw SSB (500wAM) is pretty pointless. personally, i've utilized as little as 5w AM to talk DX in the 11m segment. usually it *does* take more...especially AM, which is what the vast majority of the CB segment (save the upper 5 channels) is. generally, however, one will find that if the CB'er is this type of hobbyist, they do as Amateurs do--they use the least amount of power necessary to make comms. you will also find that these hobbyist CB'ers generally do not talk on channels 1-35...they generally stick to the SSB segment of the CB band, channels 36-40.

this is in direct contrast to the vast majority of hams...not all, but most...that actually pay attention to such things as what bandwidth their signal occupies, whether they operate and not cause harmful interference, etc...you know--like good radio operators *ought* to operate.

It's true that there is a lot of junk on cb as well as amateur, that's not the point I was trying to make, sitting and making lists of silly junk on the services ( that because CB or Amateur both are services and not in the wording of the FCC, HOBBYS ) which serve no purpose other than to keep the war going.
We need each other if we want the services to survive, have you read about the laws some states are trying to pass about driving while distracted ? They make no difference between a cell phone, CB, or Ham rig they all get taken and the driver fined, this is the future and we as radio operators need to work together instead of bickering all the time. Look at it this way there is several million cb ops in this country and around 600 thousand hams. If we through the arrl or whatever would work together and fight these kind of laws we all win , or we can fan the flames of war and guess what we all lose. I think the amateur radio operators should step up and stick out the first hand in friendship and lets stop the battle before we all lose the war!!!

funbiz99 said:
229 said:
I'm going to side with the Amateurs on this one: leave the cb jargon and such on 11m. The only reason many people deal with the lack of intelligence (call a spade a spade) on the cb band is because, up until now, there's not been an alternative--unless you wanted to learn code. Now that there *is* an alternative, it really is hoped that the cream rises to the top and moves into the Ham bands...not the worst of the worst. By simply moving all the cb stupidity into the ham bands, all you would be accomplishing is proving the established Amateurs that were against dropping the code correct.

The bottom line is that if you want to act like a oxygen thief, please do those of us that *aren't* oxygen thieves a favor, and stay in the cb band. don't be the minority that screws it up for the majority.

sorrry to say the reason ham radio is dying is not the code!!!!!!!!!!! I know lots of hams who got their ticket just to be treated like crap.........and sell alltheir equipment...Now that its easy to get your voice privilages....the newbies will have lots of people who wii talk with them.

i live in a large city and the repeaters are dead because everyone is uncomfortable using them.

ps what is a oxygen thief? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm not passing judgment or making smart aleck comments, but.......... If people insist on bringing the lingo, CB jargon, and attitude into Amateur Radio, the repeaters will be dead-ER!
The repeater OWNERS will drop the machines right out from you in mid-sentence! :shock:
:?

Really, it's about respect, not about forcing "MY" way on a hobby that was around prior to CB and gave rise, in many senses, to ALL radio. Respect means that one enters a room, a group, or a hobby with a bit of humility which means, simply,
conforming to the way the existing Amateurs conduct themselves on the air. In other words, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do"! :)

I have no doubt that new Amateurs will be welcomed in most places if they simply follow a few simple and logical rules. First, LISTEN before transmitting. Take note of the Amateurs' way of speaking. Use PLAIN language as if you were on the phone. Follow the rules of Part 97. Try to fit in. You'll do fine. If people come into the hobby with an attitude of, "I got my license to talk anyway I want to and you can kiss my grits", you will be either cut off (if on a repeater), rudely corrected, or simply shunned. But we don't WANT that. We want new hams to come on board, fit in, learn "stuff" about their hobby, and be proud of their new avocation. And finally; ENJOY! :D

CWM

A little history about ham jargon. The somewhat smarmy "HI HI" came from Morse Code and depends on one's interpretation of the term. It is supposed to represent laughter, of course. But it comes out on the air as .... .. .... .. OR to one's ear.
.... . . .... . . Ergo "HI HI" or "Hee Hee". :D Depending on how your ear perceives it. So the same thing comes from basically the same "characters" (or letters). :p

CWM

real simple rule of thumb: if they are decent, talk to them it doesn't matter what service it's on. If they are jerks ignore them, they will eventually go away.

If someone sounds corney at first so what!
Ham radio is supposed to be F U N !!!!
Come on, lets not get all hung up about some new guys getting on the HF Bands, lets try to be HELPFUL.
Who has not been a newbie on HF?
I for one am NOT going to bag on a new guy on HF because he talks different. The other thing is a lot of the new guys are going to be excited, they will make a few mistakes, that is were us "old farts" are supposed to lend a helping hand, not rag on them because they do not know the ropes.
Lets all be a little tolerant and welcome the new members to the HF bands, I look forward to making contact with them.

Jeff

AudioShockwav said:
real simple rule of thumb: if they are decent, talk to them it doesn't matter what service it's on. If they are jerks ignore them, they will eventually go away.

If someone sounds corney at first so what!
Ham radio is supposed to be F U N !!!!
Come on, lets not get all hung up about some new guys getting on the HF Bands, lets try to be HELPFUL.
Who has not been a newbie on HF?
I for one am NOT going to bag on a new guy on HF because he talks different. The other thing is a lot of the new guys are going to be excited, they will make a few mistakes, that is were us "old farts" are supposed to lend a helping hand, not rag on them because they do not know the ropes.
Lets all be a little tolerant and welcome the new members to the HF bands, I look forward to making contact with them.

Jeff

I would think all would agree. However, like any avocation, job, or hobby, Amateur has its own way of speaking and always has. It is simply plain dress like on the phone. Now, nobody's gonna go wild if someone accidentally says "10-4" or "what's yer 20" at first. But face it, while the listeners may not say anything, they would be guilty of a wince or two!~ :oops: Ya gotta admit, there is a lot of corny stuff WRT CB lingo what with the fake Southern accent often assumed. And there are some corny saying in ham radio as well--like "destinated" (YEEEESH! :evil: ), but the WAY over-the-top
"How 'boucha, skipland, this h'yar's the ole Rebel in central N'awth C'lina, we tryin'" sounds completely unprofessional and pretty juvenile, don't you think? (not to mention illegal since the person using that phrase is breaking the law with his behavior). So the fear of the older Amateurs is that those old habits will leach into ham radio, lessen the professional image that we are SUPPOSED to present, and weaken the service. If you were
listening to a scanner and heard someone basically clearly and precisely enunciating an emergency message, then someone on a CB going, "I knows whutcha mean, shore do, guaran-tole ye, gre't day 'live, and this h'yar weakest station in th' nation'll git this here message out rah't away, shore thang, Mercy Sakes" etc, etc, WHICH one would make the better impression?
The professional, concise, plain dress message in regular English, or the put-on "cutesy" lingo that has attached itself to CB radio. BUT! If anybody even mildly objects (or makes fun of it), he is quickly pronounced an old fuddy duddy hammie with an elitist attitude. That isn't so! In order to have the orderly, but fun, QSO's on ham radio, it has to be somewhat self-correcting. That self-correcting nature is why Amateur has been able to have the myriad of frequencies and bands they have. Without it, it would've degenerated into an embarassing farce long ago!

All I am saying (and I am NOT making fun by quoting the lingo) is that Amateur Radio has a LONG tradition of doing things in a certain way that have proven to be effective. YES! Amateur Radio is supposed to be FUN---and it IS! But one thing *I* can't stand is an infantile, babyish, immature goof that never grew up and cannot conduct himself as an adult. I HATE carrier-throwers, people who tune up right SMACK on top of an ongoing QSO, filthy, suggestive talk, and stupidity on the air. We DO have those, sad to say on ham radio, and I HATE those!

I admit I wouldn't be happy to hear lingo, cutesy sayings ("'an' I just got down", etc.) or pushy operators who have no respect for the service OR tradition. That is JUST an opinion, and when I hear new operators on the air, I will welcome them the same way I have for almost 20 years; with kindly words and help. *IF* there are people that are trying to be funny, or push THEIR old ways onto the Amateur Service, they will probably find that some control operators will, once having gently reminded someone not to do a certain thing, pound down the repeater if on 2 Meters, correct the person (nicely, I hope), or just SHUN them. That's just the way it is. I am hoping EVERYBODY will be GOOD hams, act professionally, and have FUN. It CAN be done without trying to be "funny" or attract attention! ;)

73 All,

CWM

funbiz99 said:
229 said:

sorrry to say the reason ham radio is dying is not the code!!!!!!!!!!! I know lots of hams who got their ticket just to be treated like crap.........and sell alltheir equipment...Now that its easy to get your voice privilages....the newbies will have lots of people who wii talk with them.

i live in a large city and the repeaters are dead because everyone is uncomfortable using them.

ps what is a oxygen thief? :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

---------------

i never, ever said anything even remotely *close* to, "the reason ham radio is dying is the code."

i'm going to assume you were kidding by needing a definition for, "oxygen thief." :?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.