• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good News !

I think that with the context of the article in the first post by the ARRL those that didn't think that dropping the code would bring in more people are a little overwhelmed by how many are coming in by the reports of the VE's. I think they need to get a plan on helping and renew their commitment to elmering. Some didn't think there would be that many because When code for Tech was dropped they didn't see the #'s some thought would get their ticket. I think there were many that wanted to but their desire was to talk HF and the code was still in place for that area. So instead of getting a ticket to just mostly use repeaters they just didn't get a ticket. But now you have all those people, years worth, that now can do this and I think that is where a lot are coming from coupled with all the NCT's that will be eager to upgrade. I think Elmering can be renewed in a big way if people would just take this opportunity instead of standing by in fear. Yes there will be many that make mistakes but patience and a kind word would work volumes. Amateur lingo will have to be learned just as CB lingo was. I'm already hearing people on CB SSB asking what different Ham jargon means so they can understand more of what is being said and they are attempting to use it in there SSB communications with each other. If the long time Hams could look at this as a teaching opportunity "Elmering" I think it could be a great thing for both sides. It could put the Hobby back in the limelight. There is going to be a lot of excited people eager to work the world ! Let's help them and help nurture that excitement. :) ( After writing all this I feel I need to ID ! LOL )

elmering vs. "the behaviour police"

Sonwatcher said:
I think that with the context of the article in the first post by the ARRL those that didn't think that dropping the code would bring in more people are a little overwhelmed by how many are coming in by the reports of the VE's. I think they need to get a plan on helping and renew their commitment to elmering. Some didn't think there would be that many because When code for Tech was dropped they didn't see the #'s some thought would get their ticket. I think there were many that wanted to but their desire was to talk HF and the code was still in place for that area. So instead of getting a ticket to just mostly use repeaters they just didn't get a ticket. But now you have all those people, years worth, that now can do this and I think that is where a lot are coming from coupled with all the NCT's that will be eager to upgrade. I think Elmering can be renewed in a big way if people would just take this opportunity instead of standing by in fear. Yes there will be many that make mistakes but patience and a kind word would work volumes. Amateur lingo will have to be learned just as CB lingo was. I'm already hearing people on CB SSB asking what different Ham jargon means so they can understand more of what is being said and they are attempting to use it in there SSB communications with each other. If the long time Hams could look at this as a teaching opportunity "Elmering" I think it could be a great thing for both sides. It could put the Hobby back in the limelight. There is going to be a lot of excited people eager to work the world ! Let's help them and help nurture that excitement. :) ( After writing all this I feel I need to ID ! LOL )

well, i emailed a small VEC group in southern pennsylvania to get a slot for the exams the day after the new rules go into effect--mostly because i'm hoping they do electronic filing and not snailmail filing.
i agree that the reason the numbers probably weren't there for the NCT's was because--even though the Technician technical test is very simple--people didn't simply want to get a license to talk on repeaters. i'm not putting down 2m at all...but the main draw for many people that want to get into amateur radio is the ability to do vox dx...and the NCT really didn't offer a whole lot...10m has, for nearly the entirety of the NCT availability, been a dead band.

on elmering...i have really, really mixed feelings about this concept. i'm the type of person that listens before he speaks...and i tend to pick up things rather quickly. although i have a background in military communications, i also know that i'm by no means an expert when it comes to amateur radio...not even close. so, my guess is that i'm not going to have many problems fitting in. there's a ton of stuff i'm going to have to either re-learn, or newly learn...and *that* is where i think elmers can really excel.

my concerns about the concept of "elmering" are a few-fold. first, i can totally see some--especially some that are already rather upset that the code was dropped--totally hanging up their keys and mics the first time they hear someone that's obviously new to the hobby. ham radio as a hobby is *already* a fractured society--if the internet forums are any indication. there's a LOT of open wounds that have not yet scabbed-over from the "code vs. no-code" debate...and a huge surge of new beginners in the bands is probably not going to encourage the OM's to step-up and gently guide this group of newbies. i *do* think that new people that come in willing to learn, willing to listen before they talk, and give the respect due to the elder statesmen of the hobby will probably not have a problem getting the "elmering" they need.

secondly, there is--at least in my mind--more to "elmering" than being the behaviour police. the indications, from what i've read on a couple forums, is that there are a great many on the bands that have absolutely no problems with totally shunning people that make even the slightest faux pas on the air. if *this* is what is meant by elmering, then, no--i don't want any part of it. that being said, those that are new MUST do their part to conform to the behavioural norms already established...which is why i posted before about not wanting to hear all the cb jargon creep into the ham bands any more than it already has. my personal view is that there's going to be a surge early-on...and some of those people are going to get totally shut-out because they come to the table with the wrong mentality...and rightly so.

the bottom line is that people that act the fool, in my mind, ought to be treated as such. that being said, it would be a great loss, in my opinion, to lump all the new people into the same group. there *are* going be be people that take this opportunity to get their amateur tickets that *do* have a great deal to offer the community if they are properly groomed and mentored to the extent they need it. *these* people are, in a very real sense, the future of amateur radio...not the "flash-in-the-pan" people that get their tickets and pollute the bands with crap for the first few months.

the proof is in the pudding...and i have a great deal of confidence in the OM's ability to recognize and differentiate between the two.

The code/no-code thing is over and done with. I can't see any point in more of it since it's a 'done deal'. Complaining about a 'fact' is a waste of time, no matter which side of it you were on.
Elmering.
'Elmers' are supposed to help people. If what an Elmer tells someone doesn't help them, then I just don't classify that as 'elmering'. Advising someone to not use 'CB' jargon is a pretty good idea, at least for the next while, till people sort of get used to the idea that all 'CB'ers aren't all like 'that'. I also think that the extravigant use of jargon of any kind is sort of silly, CB, ham, whatever. If it's called for, as in not being able to hear or understand someone (different language?), then sure, why not. The average cop has no idea what a 'QTH' is, so if he asks where you live, saying "My QTH is ....." is sort of nonproductive, you know? Telling a 'YL' 73 is one way of gaining interest. Just make sure that 'YL' ain't got an 'OM' listening! - lol
It's late, I think I'd better quit while I'm ahead... sort of.
- 'Doc

UPDATE !

UPDATE !

Application Avalanche Under Way as New Codeless Testing Regime Ramps Up (Feb 28, 2007) -- The avalanche of Amateur Radio license and license upgrade applications prompted by the FCC's elimination of Morse code as a licensing requirement is well under way with no end in sight. ARRL VEC Manager Maria Somma, AB1FM, reports that paperwork from upward of 450 Amateur Radio exam sessions held since the new rules went into effect February 23 has arrived so far this week. The ARRL VEC, which typically receives paperwork from about 70 sessions each day, has had to add personnel and schedule extended hours to keep up with the workload.
Rest of story

Re: UPDATE !

Sonwatcher said:
UPDATE !

Application Avalanche Under Way as New Codeless Testing Regime Ramps Up (Feb 28, 2007) -- The avalanche of Amateur Radio license and license upgrade applications prompted by the FCC's elimination of Morse code as a licensing requirement is well under way with no end in sight. ARRL VEC Manager Maria Somma, AB1FM, reports that paperwork from upward of 450 Amateur Radio exam sessions held since the new rules went into effect February 23 has arrived so far this week. The ARRL VEC, which typically receives paperwork from about 70 sessions each day, has had to add personnel and schedule extended hours to keep up with the workload.
Rest of story

Yikes :!: I guess I'm gonna have to be a little more patient on waiting the anticipated "week or so" for my call to show up in the data base. :roll: ;)

73's :!:

Wayne C.

:D WOW!!! i'm one of those 30 seconds to key to the FCC but i guess it's gonna take longer than a few days to see on the data base oh well i guess it'll be /AG for a while.

License Grant timeline - 1 week flat.

Sonwatcher said:
Yikes Exclamation I guess I'm gonna have to be a little more patient on waiting the anticipated "week or so" for my call to show up in the data base.

:D

My application was sent in by the ARRL-VEC team on Saturday, and my callsign showed-up in the database on Friday after midnight. This was a completely new grant, not an update. Hopefully this timeline example assists y'all.

I made a pretty neat contact today on 20 meters. I spoke withK5SW who was operating in the radio room of the USS Batfish submarine at the Sub Memorial in Oklahoma. WW2SUB. It is a WWII combat sub that served at Pearl Harbor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.