• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got me a new Stryker SR-440HP today...

Well, I've had a chance to put it through a few tests. I'm not going to put up pics because they're already up on CBTricks. I'll try to focus my first review on some of the neat features found in this radio that may not have been covered by others yet.

As everyone has already commented, this radio has excellent audio and power. It looks like they may tend to need aligned after conversion (like all exports) to get their full potential. Mine is doing about 65 watts on the Bird 43P. Initially it was a bit low, but just an alignment after conversion fixed it up. I would make sure that whoever you purchase it from knows the alignment procedure.

The receive is excellent compared to other CBs/Exports on the market, although not quite as good as my Grant LT. Initially, it seems to have a higher noise floor than the Grant, but I haven't been able to give a fair comparison to overall sensitivity. I'm told that it's just really expensive to get the higher quality crystals in China necessary to match something like a Grant LT these days. If you know what you're looking at, you'll notice that along with the FETs, high Q coils are used in the front end, with a neat protection circuit to prevent overload from nearby high power transmissions. This type of circuit can be added to other radios after market, but if there are those that come with it from the factory, I'm not aware of them. I'm really very pleased with the reception compared to the other exports on the market.

The meter light turns red on transmit, and flashes red at an SWR of 3:1 or worse. Apparrently the radio has an SWR protection circuit to cut back the power if it doesn't like the load. I may have to test that out one of these days 8) For all the folks that like to clip the limiter, or better yet, cut any traces involved in the limiter circuitry, There's also a nifty circuit built to clamp the modulation in the event that folks are bent on clipping the limiter or cutting traces involved in the limiter circuitry.

The talkback is a real audio circuit, not just a resistor between the PA output and the speaker. As a result, you can turn the talkback all the way up with no squeal. The built in echo board and roger beeps also work great. One thing that everyone will appreciate is that the pinout on the mic plug on the radio is actually labeled in case you want to wire a different mic. The audio really is good, even with the stock mic. I've been running it for a week with the stock mic and don't plan on even bothering to change it. All the locals that have heard it (and the truckers, too) really like the way it sounds

Overall, I'm really impressed with this radio for an AM radio. While the faceplate resembles some Magnum radios, anyone who says that this radio is a Magnum clone simply doesn't know what they're looking at inside. I really can't wait to see what they come up with for a SSB radio.

Moleculo

f

Will the 60-65w that the Stryker will do be to much power to safely run an amp with a driver, such as a 2x4 DaveMade?

LoneWolf TN

Hey there LoneWolf, I would say that IF the the Stryker can actually do 60-65 watts then yes, way too much drive for a 2x4. I would think 20 watts PEP into a 2x4 would be plenty.

JustinDePolis said:
It's on paper, and being worked on in a program similar to CAD right now for the board. Just throught I'd chime in... don't want to get off subject. :D

Just a suggestion--Make the SSB model with bells and whistles that SSBers will like and use, like instead of echo and talkback, how about a speech processor, or an audio filter, or selectable RX filters, like a 2.5 and a 2.1 crystal filter switchable as appropriate for band conditions, or use the tighter one for contesting, and the wider filter for casual rag-chewing.

I am just tired of the echo/talkback, roger beep thing--give us something new that really helps us make more and better contacts, especially for SSB. I realize that you have to keep costs down, but Ill bet most serious sidebanders would hapily trade all the gimmicks for something that really makes a difference on the RF side of the equation.

OK, I gave mine the torture test. Warning, don't try this at home.... :)

I wanted to see how well the SWR protection feature works, so I unplugged the coax from radio. I keyed it for a few minutes with the RF power turned up (about 10 watt carrier). Then plugged it back in and test it. It still worked fine. So then I bungied the mic key with no antenna and walked away for 30 minutes :twisted: When I came back, the warning light was still blinking, but no smoke and it wasn't hot at all. However, upon checking, there was no power output at all from the radio. I took it over to check it out, and all that happened was the voltage regulator went out along with a .01 RF bypass cap. A quick change and the radio was working again. The final was not damaged. It looks like the SWR protection did in fact protect the final, even if the voltage regulator suffered from runaway voltage and blew under those extreme circumstances. So all things considered, not a bad test and result.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.