• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got the new Radio Bug!

Grogan

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 1, 2011
Southern New Jersey
I am going to wait and see what the spring brings in new radios. What is the radio you would buy with a 300.00 limit for what is for sale now. AM, SSB 100 watts???

What is there that is that price range with 100 watts and ssb? I don't know of any 100 watt radios available for 300 or under. Going to be closer to 400 for one IMO, maybe find a used one.

Stryker 955 is slightly under 100 watts and slightly over $300.00 but I think it would be close enough to that dollar range and an excellent radio from what I've been hearing. haven't heard any complaints on the 955 so far.

Wait a couple more months before pulling the trigger. Should be additional new radios hitting the market this year. Also by that time some of the bugs will have been worked out of the newest releases and you'll have a full selection to choose from :)

Reactions: 2 people
So where is the weakness in this radio? You seem to like it, no?

I have 2 of them they are a great radio, the only thing I can think of is the stock mic isn't the best, but the clone hm36 mics for around $29 really wake it up, they are a electret element powered from the radio. the receive is great, it has a switchable ssb filter, 5khz default tuning steps(no bands to mess with), built in fan on the heatsink, memory channels that also remember the mode you were in(am,fm,usb,lsb) and variable power, clarifier comes unlocked and the radio is very stable on ssb.

If you think about it, most of the features that come on the optima are things most people pay to have done to their radio's after they purchase them!

Last edited:
Having been in your shoes...
Save all the money you're gonna spend on various export radios and plunk down the cash for a gently used Icom IC-718. Honest to goodness 100W on SSB, stable, nice noise blanker, AF DSP NR and ANF, voice compressor, VOX, digital RF Power control all the way down to virtually nothing, the list goes on.

If you look around, you can pick one up for $550 in nice shape. Thats less than you would pay for two mid-high end exports. No need to have it sent to be "tuned up" either. And don't worry too much about used, hams don't "golden screwdriver" their radios at nearly the rate that CB'ers do.

Reactions: 1 person
Good point, I've picked up two separate 718's one for $400 and one for $425 and both were in excellent condition.

11 meter mod is easy and they work quite well. If you're looking to play king of the hill on AM locally with a little echo though you'll need a separate radio :)

Reactions: 1 person
I have the Stryker 655.
Only difference is the SSB (as far as I know). tho some say the 655 is capable of more power. Idk. What I do know is it has the surface mount resistors and very solid boards. The RX is amazing. I talk 15-20 miles Goin down the highway with a convoy. I love the digital meter. The colors truly are brilliant. It's just a really well built product. I wouldn't trade it for the world. I would trade it for a date with Krysten Ritter, but that's it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.