• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got the Uniden 980 today!

ExitThirteen

Grumpy and Cranky
Apr 18, 2008
Cornpatch of Iowa
Ok gang, got the Uniden 980 today in the mail, took a peek inside... not much to this thing, is there? LOL

Anyhow, I did a peak & tune, my Bird 43A shows about 12W on SSB, and I set the deadkey at 3W with a little bit of forward swing on AM. Sounds VERY nice on the air.

I did get a number off the processor chip, looks like it can be programmed based on the datasheet I have for it. I'll run this by a friend of mine that understands the microcontroller stuff, and see what he can do about reprogramming it. In the meantime, I'm going to look into a final upgrade, and map out the clarifier circuit to unlock the clarifier. This will all take some time, but I'll keep people informed of my progress.

~Cheers~

Reactions: 10 people

Even though I sold my 980, I am still interested. I believe that I got around 14 out on SSB and that was on a AGM battery only. Should be slightly higher actually installed on a running vehicle. I think I got around 10 or so out on AM under the same circumstances.

I'm sure the bootloader is locked.

Im with M4 on this Im thinking its encoded or locked but hope its not or that there is a way into the programming. Let us know as I to havebeen interested in these and its odd because Im not into CB radios really but after hearing one of these on the air lastweek and asking the guy questions Im also wanting one of these.

I like the wireless microphone CB magazine just did the review on I think its a great idea and from what I have seen and heard it actually works quite well.

Sure he can come up with the clarifier mod; that pretty much uses a standard principle of circuit operation to get there. He might have to add a choke and/or a super diode to get it slide as he might want to after he gets voltage to both the RX and TX. But I think the the freq display won't show the freq change - because it is a display and not a freq counter.

Sure hope he can unlock the CPU though; that would be a much-appreciated mod.
Not to mention - a first anywhere on the www and the WWRF; no small feat either . . .

Last edited:
uniden980chassisroadmap.jpg

You can download this image and then blow it up.

Don't know how accurate it is; but this came from the CB Radio Club forum.

Not bad - for a start.

It sure would help to find out which chassis they modeled this radio after.
Many leaps forward can be attained if/when the schematic becomes available - for sure.

The tuning coils are now up for grabs. I suspect the coils that are center/upper/left (three in a vertical row) are the output osc for AM, USB, & LSB. Guessing that a couple of the coils in the right upper corner are the TX matching circuit; but don't know - which ones? They may well yield some more output watts when peaked. Don't know if that MOSFET final will handle too much though. Prolly benefit from replacing it with an IRF-520 so long as the gate/drain/source are matched pin-for-pin . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex7590
I have one I'll be playing with as soon as I have time. In the middle of other projects at the moment but the clarifer is easy..remove the 8v source from tx... remove the rx switched source and tie it to 8v constant. To play with the programming we're going to have to do a data dump most likely with a JTAG but don't know yet.

I have one I'll be playing with as soon as I have time. In the middle of other projects at the moment but the clarifer is easy..remove the 8v source from tx... remove the rx switched source and tie it to 8v constant. To play with the programming we're going to have to do a data dump most likely with a JTAG but don't know yet.

I have seen that being done with some of the Chinese HT's. Would be really cool to make this rig work with the freeband frequencies.

RT307

I finally bit the bullet and ordered one as well. Supposed to be here Friday. I got an assortment of split ferrites and torroids today. Been waiting on them from Hong Kong. My '02 junky Kia Spectra DD has the fuel pump underneath the rear seat.

It was easy placing beads on the wires right up to the connectors. Fired my junk PC68 up, heard no whine at all. I just hope the 980 is just as quiet. Just going to run it stock with my Wilson trunk mount.

I'm thinking of mounting the Optima in my Neon and use the same antenna.

My birthday is coming up on May 12th, might buy myself on of them wireless mics.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.