• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

GPA 27 problems

There's abviously something wrong with some component post radio. If you are sure you're using the meters correctly then I'd focus on the coax and connectors first. Do you have another run of coax you can try as a test to see if different coax shows the same swr reading?

If it does then move on to troubleshoot the antenna.

well thats funny,
same roll cable, same cable length,
and its nearly perfect?
might be a factory default at that piece?
it works now, but ill keep an eye on the meters :headbang:headbang

or was the darkside calling? i dont know^^ ab v c^^

thanks for the answers

feedline loss would be possible
EXCEPT, i use a same length cable for my homebrew dipole
and that one was within 15 min swr 1:1
ive got a roll of cable that i use for everything i do

i know that the antenna isnt designed for 26 tot 30mhz
but my transmitter can do it, so i did that to double check the results to see if it improved on the lower and higher side of the cb band
and it didnt

I'm not positive I understand the context of your words above, when you refer to a same length cable, etc................

So, does this mean the cable used is the same exact cable used earlier,

or does it mean you used a similar cable of the same length that checked out on your dipole 15 minutes earlier with a 1:1 SWR?

Edit note:

Well forget this post, the problem is solved. I always check my feed line cables with a dummy load every time I take my antennas down. Now tell us how the new antenna compares to the dipole.

Last edited:
I hate intermittent problems like this. Booty may be on the right track about the antenna or something at the antenna end. The connector at the antenna should show a short from the center pin to the connector outer shield.

The facts are:
1) 5:1 SWR from 26 to 30 MHz with no resonant dip.
2) GPA-27 mounted above aluminum pole.
3) SWR reading is 1:1 when using a home made 10 M dipole.
4) Meter rated for 1.8 to 30 MHz at 100 Watts
5) Using for 40 Watt FM
6) President Grant radio at 10 Watts has the same 5:1 SWR.

That leaves only the cable, the connectors and the antenna itself as the problem. The fact that it is working now that you disconnected and reconnected the cable may point the problem as a connector on the cable. Don't know if you reconnected the cable with the same ends as before? It could be a loose connector reset itself when you reinstalled the antenna and line, or there could be an intermittent contact inside the antenna.

Keep us posted.

Mike

the dipole and the GPA have the same cable length
from the same roll of cable,
the second cable i made for the GPA is exactly the same as the first from the same roll
i even used the same PL plugs (i dont have spares for the moment)
and now its nearly perfect

excuse for my englisch, im dutch ;)

Reactions: 1 person
The first post said an SWR of 1.5:1. Number five shows an SWR of 5:1. So which is it?

For what it's worth, no, the SWR wouldn't typically be a constant over a wide range of frequencies without some 'matching' being done. But then, this whole thread isn't making a lot of sense, is it.
- 'Doc

Logic would point to a problem with the first cable you made. Could have been an intermittent connector? Did you do an ohm meter reading (continuity test) of the connectors? It appears you have everything working fine now with the other cable you made.

Reactions: 1 person
What I get here is...
The SWR was 5 to 1 over the entire Bandwidth.
he pulled the Coax off and put a new piece on it from the same roll and re-used the connectors and now it is perfect.
Am I correct so far?
If yes, there must be something wrong with the "other" run of coax or the way the end connectors were applied.
But it sounds like you found the Problem.

Welkom op het forum,
Ik hoop dat je veel plezier met de nieuwe antenne, en kom hier vaak op het forum te genieten.
Met vriendelijke groet,
Jeff

in the first post was a typo which i fixed
it was
one 1:5
it needed to be
on 1:5

sorry for the troubles with the values, i post them here as we say it,
for future swr problems ill just paint it on the meter and show it here ;)
so we dont have translating troubles

w5lz;
all of my meters did give the same readings on all the frequencies i tried
without matching, i doesnt make sense to me ether

what i did;
i took the entire cable from the meter to the antenna,
i replaced it with a cable of the same lengt
and it work near perfect

my best guess is that the cable malfunctioned

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    No conditions woodstown NJ.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place