• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grant Xl Mods?????

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
I have just purchased a Grant Xl. mint and for 50$. The unit is stock and pretty much untouched. I am looking for any input on what mods can be done?
What mods should not be done and what is just a plain waste. I am not really needing it to be killed on the output more into clear strong signal with good modulation.
IS there anything I can do to it myself without getting to crazy..?

Please advise and have a great day..

Markip

That was a good read the pics you received (STOLE) LOL from Booty helped. if I decided and send it to a shop for any thing beyond what I can do.. Any recommendations on tuning? .. I will send it out if needed. I received some good info here on a couple of really good techs that I will use. JUst want to know what this Grant is capable of. Thanks for all the help..

Markip

do not modify the audio or transmit circuits.

yes, there are lots of mods out there to make it louder and give it more PEP swing, but they are at the expense of the superb audio this radio delivers from the factory IMHO.

just have the shop do a full alignment, and turn up VR7 the modulation pot.

then you can set it where you want it with the front panel mic gain control.

the receive mod these guys mentioned is cool and does help the receive.
have a shop do that mod, give the radio an alignment, and you are good to go!

you will NOT need a power mic with this radio, but they do sound good stock with a D104. just make sure if you do use a power mic that you keep the gain control on the mic cracked open just enough to get full audio out of it, and no more.

if you leave the radio like this, you will have a great radio for years to come.

the only mod i can think of having a shop do would be maybe to add a hi-lo power switch to the bright-dim switch so you can set the radio for barefoot and linear amp use.

2 watts for the linear and 4 watts for barefoot.
dont have them increase the deadkey any more than 4 or 5 watts, as it wont be noticed AT ALL on the receiving end and will just heat your radio up.

nice radio, hope you enjoy it,
LC

I agree with Loosecannon, that radio is a classic with outstanding SSB stability and nice loud smooth AM audio. A proper tune and alignment is all it needs. The receive will be better then 90% of all exports and cb's with just a correct alignment. Extra channels and a variable power of some kind are the only mods I would have done. If you prefer an unlocked clarifier then that would be ok as well.

explain the setup on the variable power setup.. I am going to get the tune and alignment this week.. Is setting up talk back easy to do. Or not worth the headache.. Have a great day.

Markip

I had a Grant back in 91 and all I done to it was add a D104 hand mic,opened the clarifier,SSB transmit and receive aligned and had the extra channels added....then put a 75 watt kicker in line and I worked the world mobile....and always got good reports back ......keep that as close to stock as possable....those are fine little rigs (y)

wish I still had that rig

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.