• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

grant xl vs new radio

brash

Apr 22, 2012
i have a grant xl radio that has been modded. although i never have used the extra channels or usb lsb. basically use it for work on straight 40 channels. what i want is to know should i buy a new radio like the 980, 959 or 99v or even lincoln 2/optima (why coz i want one) or should i just get a frequency counter maybe an amp and hook it up to the xl and be done. i want a counter just because. an amp to give a little more. do i need an amp no. just thinking i want one. so should i get a new rig or upgrade the xl

The grant is one heck of a ssb radio, they work well. A good 2 transistor amp that uses toshiba 2879's would work well with That radio, set the dead key on am to about 2-3 watts and on ssb there should be no issues with overdriving. As far as new radios go I love my optima mk3 with the icom hm-36 mic and my magnaforce 350hd. It works great and the optima mk3 works well with the amp. Get great reports barefoot and with the amp on, and with the filter you can virtually eliminate most noise. This is just my experience. If you want a new radio, there are a few that are out but all seem to have their good and bad sides. I will say for the money, the optima mk3 is one heck of a value for the price. The radio is built well and works great with the icom mic. Cost less than 300 for radio and mic. Not bad for a radio that will do 50 watts ssb and is rock solid on ssb as well. JMO. God bless.

The Grant xl was/is probably one of the best ever legal 40 channel cb radio's made. There is nothing wrong with trying out new and different radio's, just keep the Grant xl on a shelf at home. At some point down the road you will return to her and be glad you kept her.

Well, that's your call but I'd say, Ditch it for a new rig:) I don't like external freq counters. Internal is nice and clean. If you don't use SSB, that opens it up to all kinds of stuff so no need to limit yourself to SSB radios.

Keeping in mind you're strictly an AM'er in cb freq's, Id probably look at the 99 a little closer. I have an optima in the mobile and a Lincoln II on my shop bench and I change about every 3 months. If you're looking at using it in the mobile, I think you'll find the optima and Lincoln II a little more difficult to operate than most.
Ie: optima - changing channels without a channel selector isn't that big of a deal if you know the frequencies to all 40 channels, but what is a little different is the default 5KHZ step. You basically have to change the channel twice to go from channel 17 to 18. You can press the step button twice every time you turn it on if you want to change it to the "normal" 10khz steps like a cb radio, but that's kind if a pain. Everything is just a little smaller so it takes your eyes off the road. Yes, you get used to it but with a Galaxy 99 etc...you don't have to. I don't care for the lighting on the optima at all for night driving. You have to deal with an 8 pin mic or an adaptor. It's a great radio. That's not in question. These are just practical things I'm pointing out that are important when it comes to a mobile radio.

The same thing goes for the Lincoln II, the cre8900 and other similar radios. Very good sidebanders but not any better on AM.

I'd get the 99 for a mobile AM'er or the 94 with twice the power and maybe forget the amp. A 99 and Texas star. 350 or 500v is a nice little match.

Get whatever you like, just cause you can.

Trade off a Grant XL for a Galaxy???? No way. No chance. If you are an AMer; then get an AM only radio. But if you want really quality SSB; then it is no contest. The Grant will kick any Galaxy radio's azz. Stability is what the Grant has and the Galaxy can only wish it had. Not to mention that while the receive of the Galaxy is wider than the Grant XL, the Grant's audio can still be modified to sound much better than the Galaxy. BTW, the Galaxy receive audio might be wider, but is raspy compared to the Grant without any fix available. No contest, IMO . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: skiman1
I would keep the grant because if you sell it you will regret it later. Get a second radio it's part of the hobby. if you want an amp and your on a budget RM Italy makes the KL-203 keep the input low and they work great. I was shooting skip with a local on an Xforce 800 to 1000 watts and I talked to everyone he did with the little 203. If your base good coax and antenna is a good investment. for that mater same with mobil.

Thanks. It's not that I'm only an am'er only. It's all we use at work. (Construction) would like to go ssb and even looked and taken practice test for the ham. Just haven't pulled the trigger. With out a counter I have no freaking idea where I'm at. Even if the switches work. Just looking for something new. I want something that looks good and has good features.

i have a grant xl radio that has been modded. although i never have used the extra channels or usb lsb. basically use it for work on straight 40 channels.
I would not trade the Grant XL for 100 galaxy radios. You have a great radio with the Grant XL. If you don't run SSB save your money and buy a Cobra 29.

I'd keep the Grant XL and add an Optima MKIII for the counter/extra channels.

That meets both of the "just cuz" needs. The Grant will be the better AM talker - though the Optima works fine on AM - but if you want to freeband or play with a new radio, the Optima will give you something new to explore and has some nice features you won't find on the Grant.

I have both, and use both depending on my mood.

Comparing a 959 to any of the mentioned radios is a joke. I've owned a few before my current 257hp and will never own another. As for my pics in order would be the Optima, Rci2970, 257hp, Rci2950, and if it was legal cb your xl followed by the Uniden 980.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.