• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane or Beam for dx?live in between hills........

Hillbilly360

Sep 24, 2006
KY
I want to shoot dx..36' is as far as i can get it in the air.Would a good gp or a beam on the flat side or horizontally mounted be better?H ave hills on each side and the only opening i have is towards the east;;;;i know i want be able to talk local because all my buddies live to far a way for me to talk to them.Thats why i'm going to concentrate on nothing buy skip....

I want to shoot dx..36' is as far as i can get it in the air.Would a good gp or a beam on the flat side or horizontally mounted be better?H ave hills on each side and the only opening i have is towards the east;;;;i know i want be able to talk local because all my buddies live to far a way for me to talk to them.Thats why i'm going to concentrate on nothing buy skip....

Sorry for the misspelling,in kind of a hurry tonight.

I prefer to have both vertical and horizontal polarization. I would put the beam up flat side, and use a ground plane above it or mounted in another location. DX propagation is strange sometimes. I have been able to talk to Australia before on my GP better than I could on my horizontal beam. That's why I like to have both!

You can do this cheaply with a 3 element beam and an A99. Of course if you've got money to burn, the sky is the limit!

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
I prefer to have both vertical and horizontal polarization. I would put the beam up flat side, and use a ground plane above it or mounted in another location. DX propagation is strange sometimes. I have been able to talk to Australia before on my GP better than I could on my horizontal beam. That's why I like to have both!

You can do this cheaply with a 3 element beam and an A99. Of course if you've got money to burn, the sky is the limit!

RT307

Thanks,well what about just going with the Maco Comet,or would the vertical gp be better than the vertacal side of the Comet?I know i have talked dx like crazy with a gp at 18' off the ground.Then again other times could'nt make a contact.I guess thats when i should of had the flat side huh!

Thanks,well what about just going with the Maco Comet,or would the vertical gp be better than the vertacal side of the Comet?I know i have talked dx like crazy with a gp at 18' off the ground.Then again other times could'nt make a contact.I guess thats when i should of had the flat side huh!

Some of the times you could not talk you may have done better on the other polarity but other times its just conditions. I have both polarities and lots of time switching polarities helps alot. Sometimes it doesent help at all. DX conditions are hard to explain.

in my opinion a maco y quad on verticle would be better locally if mounted at least 36 feet .
on the flatside for dx theres really no guaentee its mostly conditions.but it may help
at times just depends on the skip.
now for talkig locally the verticle side of the y quad would help ya alot this would help
making it to your friends

in my opinion a maco y quad on verticle would be better locally if mounted at least 36 feet .
on the flatside for dx theres really no guaentee its mostly conditions.but it may help
at times just depends on the skip.
now for talkig locally the verticle side of the y quad would help ya alot this would help
making it to your friends

thanks man,i thank that is what i will do..........!

cool i didnt price them when i posted. i assume you mean the 4 element coment?
palco electronics seems to haver good prices.
i too live in a very hilly area at times i do better at 30 miles than 10 miles in my mobile
to my base just depends if im down in another [hole] valley...lol. ive been told i should be using a 1/4 wave gp hmmm .let me know how it goes

I ran just a 5 element horizontal for 31 yrs before I put a vertical GP up.

If you can go with the 4 element horizontal then go for it, you won't regret it!

I ran just a 5 element horizontal for 31 yrs before I put a vertical GP up.

If you can go with the 4 element horizontal then go for it, you won't regret it!

thanks man.what about putting it on the verical side so i can also talk to my friends?will dx contacts still be good?

depends on conditions .it maybe better verticle .but most will probaly be better
horizonal. no real guareentee thats why alot of have a flatside beam and then a gp too boot
or just a dual polarity beam. cause theres NO guareentee which way you,ll pick them up better. BUT for locally verticle is what ya want, unless there running flatside also

i'd go with a 3 element beam horizontal (not as narrow beamwidth as a 4 ele and not much less gain) with a good quality 5/8 wave gp above it, should cover just about everything if conditions allow propagation. its much better to listen on an omni before zeroing in on the beam, gives a much better idea which direction propagation running and your less likely to miss stuff.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.