• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ground Plane or Beam for dx?live in between hills........

I would go with one of these based on how much you want to put into your tower. Bigger is usually better up to a point. In my opinion 5 elements is as big as I would ever go but that is just my 2 cents.

Maco M103-HV

Maco M105-HV

I run a H/V 105. Always heard astroplanes talked well out of low spots also. Where you at in KY. Im right across the river in Southern Indiana.

i'd go with a 3 element beam horizontal (not as narrow beamwidth as a 4 ele and not much less gain) with a good quality 5/8 wave gp above it, should cover just about everything if conditions allow propagation. its much better to listen on an omni before zeroing in on the beam, gives a much better idea which direction propagation running and your less likely to miss stuff.

i agee!!!!
what u got now 4 a setup
antenna
coax
radio

mr clean,i'm in north eastern ky.about 100 miles east of lexington along the river. hot rod,i have an old galaxy 88 and a wilson 5000 up on the roof of the house.the roof is metal.....can't talk any where,but i hear a lot of dx on ssb.....thinking about the siro 4 element beam on the flat side with the siro 827 over top.how far does the 827 need to be abouve the beam?

mr clean,i'm in north eastern ky.about 100 miles east of lexington along the river. hot rod,i have an old galaxy 88 and a wilson 5000 up on the roof of the house.the roof is metal.....can't talk any where,but i hear a lot of dx on ssb.....thinking about the siro 4 element beam on the flat side with the siro 827 over top.how far does the 827 need to be abouve the beam?

I talk to Daddy long legs in Lexington Ky from time to time but I think another 100 miles would be imposible. Its about 170 miles to lexington from here. Im not far from Evansvile and im about 4 miles from the mighty Ohio river also. Peace!

You could get one of those rotators that let you go all the way through it's center with the 4 element yagi boom and set it on it's side so you can roll it over from horizontal to vertical when you need to talk long distance local vertical, then put up a Penetrator or Gainmaster on a different mast just for local vertical omnidirectional rag chew.

well the beam sounds good. id get either a maco 5/8 wave or penatrator 500 and
put on a seperate mast. the 827 has some issues with it .i gotta 2016 which
seems decent i may heve been better off with one of the 2 i listed aboive.
if ya dont talk much distance locally ya can mount sirio D-27 DIPOLE above
the beam

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.